twenty

"SHOULD WE GET ANYTHING?" JAMES asked, stiffly walking down the street next to Allura. Their eyes were unfocused, which was something that didn't tend to happen to the two assets. Even though James's back was tense, the rest of his body was fairly relaxed.

         He was wearing a nice black jacket and a white t shirt with his jeans. He had cleaned his shoes perfectly, in an attempt to make himself look neater. His brown hair was loose but it flowed beautifully, humidity somehow not affecting it as he ran his fingers through it. He was growing a beard, but made sure it always looked neat— like his ma had taught him in the thirties.

         Allura was wearing a nice black blouse that she had bought in a store near their apartment; it was a tight v neck that reached a finger above her belly button and the rest of it flowed. Her light blue skinny jeans clinging to her toned legs, but not enough to make her uncomfortable or to lose mobility.

         Her hair was picked up in a bun, some strawberry blonde strands falling down her face. She wasn't wearing anything on her eyes, but her lips were cherry red. Her green eyes looked stunning as the contrast made them pop.

        "Why would we?" Allura asked in confusion, turning to look at James.

        "To be polite?" The Jupiterian chuckled at his comment. She had forgotten for a second that he was human and his traditions and education were different.

       "That's not necessary. Just bow your head when saying hello and say thanks for the invitation."

         "In Icelandic?"

       "If you want to, but I don't think that'll be necessary."

        "Is your Icelandic different?"

        "Pronunciation-wise, yes. And some words as well. But you'll understand, trust me."

        "I trust you." James muttered, his blue eyes finding hers as they exchanged a small smile. "Are you sure you're ready?" He asked her, noticing the nervous look behind her green eyes, that seemed to be pleading for someone to pull her out of the uncomfortable situation she was about to get into.

        "I don't think I'll ever be." She told him simply. "It's so much background and history that I'm not prepared to face." James nodded in understanding, knowing exactly how she felt. "But I'll never face if I don't do it now, right?" She said, a small reassuring smile appearing on her lips as she took a deep breath.

        She wasn't sure what made her most nervous: looking at her people, that she hadn't seen in years...

        ... or the obvious, flirty, suggestive glances that various women were throwing James's way. He was clearly oblivious to it, his blue eyes only seeming concerned over meeting the family of the woman who held his heart. But the strawberry blonde, used to the endless amount of possibilities, couldn't help but overthink.

        All of the women looking her way were absolutely gorgeous. With their long hair, varying from blonde to black, their eyes from brown to blue and their faces from a natural beauty to one full of make up— they could easily give her a run for her money.

        Even though Allura was never one to criticize women out of spite, knowing that the battle for equality had to begin with the peaceful and supportive coexistence of women— she had learned this throughout her life, when more powerful men tried to make her small because she was a girl and other women fought by her side—.

        They were stronger together.

        But right now, as women preyed on who she liked to call her man; never to his face, that would be embarrassing, she felt a tingling in her stomach, and a clenching in her chest along with the urge to just talk to James negatively about them, so that he wouldn't turn their way.