Back in Time

Ashlyn groaned as the babble of voices outside woke her up. She sat up. She was sitting in a bed, at the hospital wing. She looked around and saw Harry and Hermione awake and listening, just like her. Both seemed unhurt, save for a few bruises and scratches. Ron, however, had a cast on his leg.

Ashlyn concentrated on the distant voices. 

"What amazes me most is the behaviour of the dementors . . . you've really no idea what made them retreat, Snape?"

"No, Minister . . . by the time I had come 'round, they were heading back to their positions at the entrances. . . ."

"Extraordinary. And yet Black, and Harry, and the girls —"

"All unconscious by the time I reached them. I bound and gagged Black, naturally, conjured stretchers, and brought them all straight back to the castle."

They looked at each other, nervously. Just then the doors of the hospital wing opened and Fudge walked in followed by Dumbledore and Snape. Seeing them enter, Harry sprung out of bed. Ashlyn would have too, but her body was aching all over. She was the most hurt among all of them. She should tell Lupin how strong he was. Madam Pomfrey had healed all her bruises and cut, but her body was still aching badly.

"Harry, Harry, what's this?" said Fudge, looking agitated. "You should be in bed — has he had any chocolate?" he asked Madam Pomfrey anxiously.

"Minister, listen!" Harry said. "Sirius Black's innocent! Peter Pettigrew faked his own death! We saw him tonight! You can't let the dementors do that thing to Sirius, he's —"

But Fudge was shaking his head with a small smile on his face.

"Harry, Harry, you're very confused, you've been through a dreadful ordeal, lie back down, now, we've got everything under control. . . ."

"YOU HAVEN'T!" Harry yelled. "YOU'VE GOT THE WRONG MAN!"

"Minister, listen, please," Hermione said; she had hurried to Harry's side and was gazing imploringly into Fudge's face. "I saw him too. It was Ron's rat, he's an Animagus, Pettigrew, I mean, and —"

"You see, Minister?" said Snape. "Confunded, all of them. . . . Black's done a very good job on them. . . ."

"WE'RE NOT CONFUNDED!" Harry roared.

"Minister! Professor!" said Madam Pomfrey angrily. "I must insist that you leave. Potter is my patient, and he should not be distressed!"

"I'm not distressed, I'm trying to tell them what happened!" Harry said furiously. "If they'd just listen —"

But Madam Pomfrey suddenly stuffed a large chunk of chocolate into Harry's mouth; he choked, and she seized the opportunity to force him back onto the bed.

"Now, please, Minister, these children need care. Please leave —"

"Professor Dumbledore, Sirius Black —" Ashlyn started, but suddenly her throat ached terribly.

"Don't you even start Clarke!" Madam Pomfrey snapped. "You were so hurt when you came in, Black must have done a good job on you. You've even lost your voice." 

"She must have screamed a lot," Fudge said.

"It was not Sirius," Ashlyn said softly. It must have been all the growling that's causing her throat to hurt.

"For heaven's sake!" said Madam Pomfrey hysterically. "Is this a hospital wing or not? Headmaster, I must insist —"

"My apologies, Poppy, but I need a word with Mr Potter, Miss Clarke, and Miss Granger," said Dumbledore calmly. "I have just been talking to Sirius Black —"