Chapter 18

Dedicated to MinnieWanjala

Nate.

The doctors hadn't come out yet. Its been over five hours since they got in the theatre.

God please spare her. I will do anything you want me to afterwards but she can't leave me, us like this. Not yet. There's so much we still need to do, so much more to achieve. I don't think I will survive if anything happens to her.

I had been pacing back and forth along the corridor for a lifetime.

What's taking so long.

My mother was sitting with Mr Clarence and the rest of her family. She was comforting her father who seemed more shaken than the rest of us all. Caleb was sitting at the far end of the bench and I just couldn't look at him.

This is all your fault.

I started googling petty stuff on my phone  to pass the time but I couldn't bring myself to concentrate on anything. Just as I was about to turn off the phone, an article on a Christian website caught my attention.

Are you anxious and worried? Is your life at risk and in the brink of disaster? Here's is something to calm you down.

Jeremiah 32:27
I am the Lord, the God of all mankind, is anything too hard for me?

I contemplated so hard on the words of that verse. Seeing as there was no hope anywhere I decided to pray.

'Today, I am going to have faith. If that's the only thing that will save you Ryn.' I thought sadly as my eyes brimmed with tears.

Silently within the depths of my heart, I prayed a short prayer, in faith and hope that all would be better.

The verse said, nothing is too hard for Him. This shouldn't be that hard to accomplish!

"Oh God." I prayed, " hear me now in my time of need. I may have not been a believer then, but I am now, anything to save Ryn. I hear of your mighty deeds, but I haven't experienced them first hand, now would be a good time to make your name stand high amidst us all. Save her, for thy own glory. In Jesus name. Amen."

The moment I opened my eyes, my heartbeat suddenly escalated and the blood in my veins felt ice cold.

What's happening?

The nurses and surgeons in the room were in a panic as the life machine suddenly beeped loudly and everyone else went into a frenzy mode. We were all stuck at the glass window watching helplessly as the line on the life machine went straight.

No. No no no no. This can't be happening. It shouldn't be happening.

Kate came to my side and hugged me as she was sobbing as well. Almost everyone was. Ryn was in some sort of a seizure and the nurses struggled to keep her calm. When she finally stopped, the doctors tried to resuscitate her but nothing was working.

"3 2 1 clear."
The process went on for almost five times but nothing seemed to be working. Then the doctors looked at each other somberly before saying something that broke me the most.

"Time of death, 6:49pm."

I didn't know where I got the courage to budge in the operating but I couldn't have it. My mom was calling out my name but it was already too late, I had already got in.

"Sir, you're not allowed in here. Nurse get him out of here."

I fought with the nurse who was trying to drag me outside but I couldn't have it. I threw myself on Ryn's limp body and cried broken hearted. Two nurses came to my side to drag me but I slapped one of them and she looked at me horrified.