Chapter 6 ║A Daisy in a Field of Roses

not proofread/edited

Chapter 6 ║ A Daisy in a Field of Roses

"Austin," I whisper, wiping the tears out of my eyes. 

The previous fear settles down once my eyes find his. For once, I'm happy to see him.

He crouches down to my level to talk to me face to face.

"Why are you here?" I ask.

"My mom asked me to get her some things," he says. "Then the lights went out and I thought I might as well help give out flashlights."

I sigh in relief, knowing the dark couldn't haunt me now. 

"By the way...," he begins, scratching the back of his head. "are you okay? You're eyes are bloodshot red." I can see the concern on his face. 

"I'm fine," I say, forcing a smile on my face. He knows I'm lying, but doesn't pressure me to go on. "I'm just glad you have a flashlight." 

"Are you scared of the dark?" he asks, trying to stifle a laugh.

I glare at him. "No!" I shout, lowering my face when people start to look towards us. I wouldn't tell him I'm afraid of the dark. He'll have something else to tease me with.

He chuckles, the sound soothing me. "Okay, if you say so. I'll keep it our little secret." 

"There's no secret. I'm not afraid of the dark," I say, trying to convince myself in the process. Who was I fooling with my lies? Definitely not me.

"Then you wouldn't mind if I left right now?" he questions, standing up with the flashlight causing panic to rise again.

"No, don't leave yet!" I scream, grabbing his hands and pulling him, along with the flashlight, back down.

 "Babe if you want me, just say it and I'm yours." I gag just at the thought of uttering those words to him.

"Never," I hiss out, removing my hand from his. "You can leave after you hand over the flashlight."

He chooses to ignore my request and instead, sits down next to me, handing me the flashlight. 

********************************************

The power comes back an hour later. Austin and I are still sitting next to each other, making small talk from time to time. I pay for my grocery items while Austin pays for his. 

Once we set foot outside, I could see the aftermath of the snowstorm. I wonder if the streets are clear enough for cars and busses. I walk towards the direction of my house but Austin's hand grabs my wrist before I could move. I look at him in confusion, wondering why I was stopped. 

"I'll take you home," he says. "My car's in the parking lot." My eyes widen, upon hearing his offer to take me home.

"Did you seriously drive here?" I ask to which he nods. "Austin, you live 15 minutes away from here. Are you incapable of walking?"

He shakes his head at me. Did I say something wrong? "With my baby, I turn that 15 minutes into 5. Also it's fucking cold. No way am I walking in this weather," he replies. I roll my eyes at his pretentiousness.

"You're a lazy fucker," I mutter.

"A hot lazy fucker," he corrects me, his infamous smirk making its way on his face.