Chapter 20

It had been two weeks since that night but not once had Siddharth even hinted at it again. She could see, it was always on his mind. Though he tried really hard to not show it. Well, that was the problem. A small smile graced her lips. He was treating her like he always did, and it eased her mind so much. The only giveaway was that, every time they would end up laughing together, his laugh would abruptly stop and he would cover it with a tight-lipped smile as if to tell her he was willing to wait. He was being extremely considerate but it pained her to even look at him being so.

What could she do?

The answer he was awaiting, she couldn't give him that. She can't offer her whole heart to him, and he deserved so much more than that. Knowing that her answer would only hurt him more, how could she say anything? She had been trying to think of an appropriate way to tell him. Now, she stopped trying too... What was she trying for?
To be strong enough to hurt him?
But.
The longer she remained quiet, the more confused her mind made her.

She knocked and waited. She was having a headache today, and she didn't know why. She wasn't used to getting headaches. She felt weak, as if in a daze. Was she tired? Tired of dealing with these confusions?

"Come in," he said, and she entered.

Even though he had told her it was okay to not knock, she always did. That used to bring a smile on his lips. Now, he wondered if she was only doing that because she didn't feel as close to him as he felt to her. Shaking off the disturbing thoughts, he put on a small smile. He was thinking too much. True, he liked her. A lot. And he wanted her to like him back. However, had he ever imagined he would meet such an amazing woman, and get a chance to get to know her, be so close to her? No. Never. Then, why couldn't he just suck it up and wait for her?

She walked upto his desk and placed the files there. Her body was lightly shivering and her vision was beginning to blur. "Thes-e are-" the world spun around her. She heard her name being yelled. Her eyes closed on their own accord and she fell.

In a blink, he reached her and caught her before she could touch the ground. What had happened to her?! Her skin looked so pale.

He picked her up and lowered her on the couch carefully. Taking his mobile, he called Joseph and ordered him to bring Dr. Saxena to his office right this instant, his eyes not leaving his precious one for even a second. Ending the call as he saw her stir, he filled the glass with water and brought it to her.

Her head ached. She massaged her temples and sat up, squinting her eyes open to see her boss kneeling in front of her with a worried look on his face, holding a glass of water. She attempted to speak but realized her throat was too dry. He offered her the glass, and with a thankful smile, she drank it.

"Thank you. I'm fine now," she croaked out, wondering how in the world she had fainted. But who was she kidding? These past few days, she hadn't been in the mood to cook. Her habit of eating cheesy items when her sorrow hit her had taken over her, again. Ordering anything cheese-filled, she had hogged it for every single dinner, keeping some in the refrigerator for breakfast. Sometimes, she even spent the whole night with emotional movies and cheesy junk. Of course, she'd feel weak.

She was about to get up when he pushed her down gently by her shoulder. "You're not fine. I called the doctor. He'll be here soon."

Before she could tell him that wasn't necessary, a knock was heard. Her shoulders slumped. She was fine. Except for a small headache, she was completely alright.

Sid went ahead and opened the door, greeting the doctor and ushering him in. Joseph following on cue.

"She fainted!" He exclaimed, as if it was sin to faint. She inwardly shook her head in amusement.