CHAPTER 34

Addison had sent a book to Arnav's place the day Arnav had stopped answering his calls. It was still unwrapped as Arnav held it to his chest. A small smile spread on his face at the feel of the book. Magically, the gift made him feel a little closer to them.

They would never know how much they meant to him, Arnav knew. After having seen his own parents leave him alone, just because both of them didn't want a burden of their previous marriage on them anymore, it became hard for him to trust that someone else would stay. When your own parents, your own family, who had once loved each other, suddenly didn't want you- a remainder of their once love -anywhere near them, it would make you distrust the feeling of love. And that was what had happened to him.

If love could fade away without a hint, so mercilessly, then what was the point of such an emotion? He was better off without it. He was better off without expecting someone to stay, and love him. However, Arpita and Addison had changed that mindset of his.

Staying with them had taught him that it's not the emotion but the people who hold it that are to blame for its result. For he knew his two friends would never let go of anyone they care about. And to know he was one of those people warmed his heart, and brightened his life, in a way they'd never know.

Of course, they wouldn't, he fell back in his seat, resting his head on it. He could just never bring himself to even thank them directly. Speaking his heart out- It wasn't something he could do, and it still surprised him that they had stayed by his side, nevertheless. He wondered what they saw in him, especially... Arpita.

How was she doing now?
He began to ponder again, but shook his head instantly, not wanting to think about it. He would soon get to talk to them; he convinced himself.

He had never wanted to be anyone's puppet, but now, he doubted if he'd ever be free. He was going to be the future heir of Tri. Enterprises, he'd have to listen to Mr. Tripathi. But that man wasn't a bad person. Not an arrogant or dominating businessman. So, it would all be fine.

When he had talked to Addy last time, before the idea of getting adopted had even entered his mind, Addison had tried to tell him that staying away from Arpita wouldn't solve anything. He had asked, 'What will you do if she clings to you more when you return? You're only making her miss you, and make her want to be with you even more. I'm telling you; you're hurting her and yourself, in vain. This isn't wise.'

Addison's question had echoed in his mind for days. He didn't want that to ever happen. 'Why can't we be like those normal friends?' It had had him screaming. And that was when it had occurred to him- exactly why they couldn't be normal friends.

Normal friends had their own homes to return to, while he and Arpita came back to each other. Normal friends had different people who were closer to them, who cared for them; they had a family. Normal friends were a part of each other's world but their worlds were different, while Arnav and Arpita had been together since forever; had endured every struggle together, always.

His mind had gone quiet after that. Eerily quiet. For too long.

...Did that mean they'd always rely on each other more than friends ever would? Did that mean Arpita would never be free to live independently? Just because she cared for him? Just because she would always be worried whether he had his dinner or not? Whether he was fine or not? Why should he allow that? How could he allow that? How could he let her selflessly take care of him, making her own self second in her life?