Chapter 23

"Where is he?"

Arpita's question and the way she asked it made Mr. Tripathi panic. Had he given himself away? He was afraid. "How would I know, child," he said frantically. "I don'-t know," he stuttered, trying to convince her, and chanting to himself that he wasn't doing anything wrong. She was just a friend to Arnav, his absence wouldn't affect her much. But knowing the truth would change the course of Siddharth's life.

His state of fright confirmed her suspicions. She almost gasped, he was her only hope and she was absolutely glad for this moment.
"Uncle," her eyes were brimming with tears, that no one except herself and her Arnav had seen falling till date. "Please," she begged. "You do know, don't you? Please tell me where he is. Has somethin-g happened to- him?" Her voice quivered with fear. "Is that why no one's telling me anything? Or, does he not want to meet us anymore! Please tell me, Uncle. I need to know." She pleaded desperately.

Rajiv could see Arnav was not just a person she had known. Arnav was clearly someone as important to her as her own self. "Nothing has happened to him, Arpita. He is fine and healthy," he comforted. If his lie to his son had stolen the boy away from the people who cared for him, had hurt people who loved him, then Rajiv knew he was solely to blame.

He knew that his son liked Arpita, and one day, this young one would be his daughter-in-law, or so he hoped. There is no use of hiding it. She would come to know someday, if not today. Maybe, God wanted to lift this burden off my shoulder. Finally, I will be able to face my guilt, he thought.

He had lied to his son, to this world, because that was what had seemed the best choice to him then. And at this moment, he chose what seemed best to him now. He did not regret that day's decision, and if given another chance, he would not change it. But a lie can never provide one with peace of mind, even if it helps escape pain. Thus, the truth he had hidden had always troubled him from within.

Arpita stared at Mr. Tripathi, stock-still. Had he really just told her Arnav was fine? Did she really get a sure answer, to her question regarding Arnav?!

If he knows Arnav is alright, then- "Where is he, Uncle?" She asked him hastily, certain that he knew. She sat on the edge of the couch, as if ready to jump out of it and run to the place he would utter. "Please tell me where he is."

Rajiv smiled at the girl's sudden impatience. There was no doubt that she loved Arnav. And Siddharth loved her back. They were meant to be, Rajiv thought, as he replied, "Siddharth is Arnav."

"What?" She questioned, her voice merely a whisper.

Mr. Tripathi smiled at her confused face. "Siddharth is Arnav, child. Arnav Arya."

Siddharth. is Arnav?! She beamed, biting a corner of her lip, her bright smile still intact.

How had it happened? She had no clue. But she believed it anyway.
Siddharth was Arnav.
Of course, he was.

Those sharp dark eyes had always reminded her of him. Now, she knew. That those shark-like eyes, and the emotions it held, could be no one's. But his.

From the first time she had lifted her chin to find those pitch-black eyes staring at her, to the first time she had gotten to meet her boss's cold gaze... Every emotion in them had been eerily similar. That initial aloofness to the hidden tenderness. That, rare, capturing happiness to the depth of its emptiness.

She bit her quivering lips, the smile still warm. A sense of peace, she had long longed for, came over her. Knowing that her wait had reached its end. Knowing that her heart had finally found what it had been looking for. Knowing that she had found her home.