Chapter Ten

Chapter 10JadenDork

Chapter 10
Jaden
Dork

A bullet whizzes by, ricocheting off the coffee tables. She runs back to the kitchen once and comes out with two trays of steaming hot coffee. Beads of sweat ball on her forehead just waiting to trickle down. Eventually, the numbers of people fall into less than five and Jaden can finally take a break.

With a deep sigh, she relaxes into a chair in front of  one of the TVs with a coffee in her hands.
"Rough day?" A chocolate eyed beauty gazed at her with a smile.

"How can you tell?" Jaden chuckles, taking a sip of her coffee.

"That's why I like to come after the morning rush. There is so much chaos then, I like the peace and quiet."

"Me too. I don't think I ever stopped running until now."

The memorable tune of the breaking news segment grasps both of their attentions. A big picture taken of Jaden on a security camera causes her to go tense. She stares intently at the screen, holding her cup so tightly it could shatter

"What is with this woman? She's always on the news for stealing. I just don't understand why she's so against the Flash if he's saved so many people." The woman clicks her tongue and shakes her head.

"It's not the people he's saved, it's the people he didn't." Jaden says blankly, her eyes still glued to the screen.

"I never thought about it like that." The two fall into an awkward silence until the sound of the glass doors prying open grabs their attention. Jaden can't help but let a little smile creep across her face.

"You missed it Jace, this place was crazy!" She smiles genuinely for the first time in a while.

"Really? Too bad I missed it huh." He says sarcastically and gives a slight smile as he wraps his apron around his waist.

The two serve side by side as another rush of customers creep in. Somehow, it got to be almost as busy as the morning. They both run around the cafe aimlessly, smiling and teasing each other when they cross paths.

The sun lowers into the horizon, painting golden dancers across the sky. Jaden stands in the back of the cafe waiting to clock out.

"Jaden!" A familiar voice calls with a set of pattering feet following.

"Jace." She replies, spinning around.

"I wanted to ask you something."

"Anything." She smirks, hoping it's the question she's been waiting for.