Life in the Basement

I wake up, shivering.

No one came down this entire day. It's probably 2 or 3 in the morning by now. 

I get up and I go into the storage closet to find something that will stop my arm from bleeding and something to make me more comfortable. 

I find some napkins and garbage bags. I hold the napkins down on the bleeding part of my arm. Then I find some toilet paper to wrap my arm with it. I do the same for the other parts of my body that's bleeding. 

I can't do much about my bruises. As of now, I did all that I could to help myself. 

I decide to use garbage bags as blankets since they were the next best thing to blankets. I get on the mattress and wrap myself with the garbage bag. I don't sleep too well because I'm too busy crying. 

A few hours later, someone comes downstairs. 

I don't move. Instead, I act like I'm asleep as they approach me. 

It's Camila and Dinah. 

Dinah says "I thought you were mad at her. Why did you want to come downstairs?"

"Don't get me wrong. I am mad, but I just wanted to check on her bruises and cuts. Don't wake her up though. You can wake her up if you want to, but wait until I leave." Camila replies 

"I'm just going to leave her cereal covered. I don't want to talk to her."

They approach me, but I'm facing the other side. 

Dinah says "Wow, this girl really inflated a whole mattress."

"And she went through the storage closet." Camila scoffs in disbelief 

"Well, I guess that's alright. It does get cold in here, and at least she covered her cuts." Dinah says, putting the breakfast down. 

Camila sits down next to me. She softly grabs my arm to look at my cuts and bruises, then she kisses my arm. "Yeah, hopefully, she cleaned it right."

I hear Camila sigh "It's like no matter what we do, she's always trying to make us regret it. I just want to see her happy! But, I don't want to get arrested because of that!"

"I know Camila, I know," Dinah says softly as she tries to comfort her best friend. 

"I'm just so annoyed Dinah!" Camila says, her voice breaking a little "We brought Taylor here for her. We did it for her happiness, but she made us regret it! She does this every single time!"

"Mila, I know." Dinah says softly "Maybe we should go upstairs before we wake her up." 

After a few seconds, the mattress creaks, and I hear footsteps walking away from me. 

Once they're gone, I cry a little more. I don't touch my breakfast. Eating is the last thing on my mind. 

I never meant to make them regret making me happy. I-I just want to tell someone.... I thought I'd be okay. I thought I'd be safe. 

 I go back to bed and after a while, Ally comes down with my lunch. She sees that I haven't touched my breakfast. 

"Skylar, I know you're awake. You have to eat. When I come back down your lunch better be gone." 

With that, she leaves. 

I don't touch my lunch. I'm just not hungry. I don't feel like eating. 

Ally comes back down to give me dinner. When she sees that I didn't touch my lunch, she says "Alright, I'm calling the girls down here." 

She walks over the stairs and yells "Hey girls, can you come down here!"