Distraction

Y/n's POV:

I look around my room, sifting through the large piles of textbooks and handwritten revision notes for my laptop charger.

It's almost exam week, and I've been studying non-stop for the last few weeks. I was barely getting enough sleep as it was, but now I never get more than an hour of rest, functioning off coffee. I've been sat up in my room since 7am, and it's now 10:45 pm.

I still have around an hour before my boyfriend comes home.

I groan loudly, trying not to think about all the revision and essays I have left to do as I finally dig my charger up from beneath a pile of revision notes about *Random Subject*.

Brad means well, and I know that he's concerned for me, but him being around when I'm trying to revise isn't helpful. He always asks me to take a break, and although I know studying in a dimly lit room, staring at a laptop screen for hours on end isn't good for me, it's still irritating.

By the time Brad comes home, I'm still nowhere near close to finishing my revision.  "Babe?" He opens the bedroom door, frowning deeply as he takes in all the scattered school things around me.

"You're not still studying, are you?" He eyes my clothes, noticing that I'm still in my pajamas and haven't even brushed my hair properly.

"I have to, babe. Otherwise I'll fail my exams." I give him a tired smile before typing another sentence for my essay. He carefully shifts a pile of textbooks, sitting beside me. "You were working on this essay when I left this morning. Have you taken a break? Gotten some sleep?" I wave him off wearily.
"I can sleep when I'm dead."

He brushes a couple of hairs out of my face before placing his hand cautiously on my knee. "I messaged you a couple of times, you didn't reply."
"Sorry. My phones... somewhere around here." I wave a hand around at the piles of work vaguely.

"You've been working for 16 hours straight. Can you not take a little break? I haven't spent any time with you today."
"If I take a break, I'll lose my focus." I inform him, fact checking my work with a textbook.

Brad sighs loudly before shutting the lid of my laptop. "Brad! What the HELL."
"You've been too busy to spend time with me for ages. I need some attention too, you know. I've been away all day, letting you study."
"Do you know how much work I have to do? I can't get it all done in that space of time. These exams are important, Brad. If I fail them, all of this will be for nothing. The last four years, all that money, wasted. Please, just leave me alone to study." I plead.

"I've been out with the boys, giving you ages of alone time to study. How are you not done yet? You've had nearly the whole day." I narrow my eyes at him, suddenly miffed at the way he thinks that my work can be done so quickly, when I'm reality I'm still far behind and I have so much to do.

"Okay, fine. Why don't you try doing all this work and then tell me if it can be done in one day." His eyes widen slightly at my tone, but he softens when he realised how stressed I look. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be insensitive. I know you're stressed, I just miss spending time with you." I let out a quiet breath, rubbing my eyes tiredly before opening my laptop once again. "I know, I miss spending time with you too. But the sooner I start, the sooner I finish."

Brad nods thoughtful, rubbing my arm gently. "Is there anything I can do to help?"
"Not really. Can you just go... watch tv or something? Entertain yourself while I focus on this."
"Okay," He mumbles sadly, standing up carefully before pressing a gently kiss to the top of my head.

*Time skip*

It's been a few hours, and I'm absolutely exhausted. Luckily, I finished my essay, although I still have a lot more to do. I look over at my boyfriend, whose somehow managed to keep quiet on his phone for the last few hours. I feel bad when I realise that he looks bored, as if he's trying not to fall asleep. I know he's only staying up for me.

I root around for my phone, surprised when I see all the notifications from Brad.

Hey baby, me and the guys are going to hang out at James's house and play PlayStation for a bit. Love you.

Remember to take a break from studying at some point.

Have you eaten yet?

Babe? Please tell me you've taken at least one break? You don't want to overwork yourself.

I know you're probably busy working, but please reply.

I'm hoping that you've at least taken a nap and eaten something, even if it's just a snack.

I love you, and I know you're going to do great in your exams.

Hey babe, I'm coming home in a few. Do you want me to bring you anything? Food or some snacks?

I really hope you're not replying because you're asleep or something, and not because you're still studying.

Stuck in traffic. I'll be home soon.

I'm home! I'm coming up now.

I sigh sadly before glancing back at my beautiful boyfriend. He's lying on the sofa, his head resting on the armrest. "Bear?" I call softly. His head shoots up quickly as he smiles at me. "Are you finished now?" There's a hopeful glint in his eyes, and I feel my insides twist with guilt. I hesitate before answering. "Not yet, babe." He lets his head dip back down before lifting it again, his brown eyes still hopeful. "Can't you do the rest tomorrow?"

I open your mouth to reject his idea, but something in his expression makes it hard. I look between him and my laptop, trying to decide, before powering it off. Brad's face lights up as he holds his arms out for me. I carefully slide into the space beside him, draping my legs over his longer ones. As I relax against his embrace, I feel tears well up in my eyes. "Hey, what happened?" He coos softly.

He gently rubs my back, making soft noises under his breath as I try to stop crying. "Sorry." Brad holds me tight against him, kissing my forehead repeatedly. "You don't have anything to apologise for, baby. You're stressed, okay. You need to do something relaxing." I shake my head, the tears reappearing. "I can't, Brad, I need to get it done. The deadlines-"
"I know, baby, I know. But you're overworking yourself. You're only human" He says quietly, concerned. "I know, but I -"
"Don't worry about it now, darling. You need to relax for a minute, before your head explodes. He pecks my lips, his fingers running through my hair. I feel my eyes getting heavy, and Brad notices too. "See? You're exhausted. Sleep for a little while."

Even as I open my mouth to protest, I feel myself falling asleep. "Okay, fine. I suppose a bit of sleep won't hurt." He hums lightly in agreement, tightening his hold around me slightly. "Goodnight, darling. I love you."
"I love you too Brad."