Chapter Thirty-Two

Diana crosses her arms over her chest as she leans in the doorway of one of the upstairs bedrooms. Damon sits on the bed and attaches the magical shackles to the metal frame. He glances at her and then back to the shackle. He tugs a little and then adjusts the chain.

"So I get an upgrade?" Diana teases and looks at Damon who smirks a little.

"You broke the wall of the cell" He points out and tests the shackles on the bed frame. "Have to get that fixed, until then....you'll be staying in here" He tugs on the chain again. "Okay, come here" She shoots him a look and then moves towards him.

"I really don't think these stupid shackles are necessary" she complains.

"Bonnie said they'll hold....Thought that about the ones in the basement too but...hey, you got through those"

"My anger proved stronger than the magic in that cuff" She counters, he hums a little. "Why are you helping me?" she asks him.

"Because you are probably the only one that can save Elena" he tells her. "Because you are my friend....pick one...or both" She raises an eyebrow at him, he sighs. "Fine....I want my friend back" he admits.

"You prefer me when I'm more...human?"

"Yeah, surprise to me too" He answers and shrugs before snapping the cuff closed around her wrist. "You're a total bitch right now" he tells her. "And there is room for only one in our friendship" he teases and points at himself, she smirks at him. "I am that bitch" He pats her knee and stands. "There..." He then heads for the door. Diana takes a breath.

"Thanks" She whispers, he looks at her and finds her looking away. "For...you know...everything...it's been real weird" he snorts and nods in agreement before leaving and locking the door behind him. Diana lets out a breath and hangs her head.

.............

Later; Diana glances at the doorway when the door opens, Alaric stepping through and then closing the door behind him. He lets out a breath before he turns to face her. She looks much better out of that cell, not so dark and creepy, she looks like Diana just with...shackles.

"What are you doing here?" she asks him. He holds up a pack of cards and shrugs.

"If you're still bored" he offers. She smiles and pats the bed next to her. He walks towards her and then sits next to her on the bed. "Poker?" he asks her, she raises an eyebrow.

"You know how to play poker" he nods. "Why am I not even remotely surprised?" he chuckles and shuffles the cards.

"My grandfather taught me" Alaric admits

"Your grandfather taught you to play poker?" she asks him, he hums and nods.

"Yeah" he looks at her. "He had a gambling problem and he used to say that playing against me made sure he wasn't playing against someone that would take his fingers"

"He cheated" She realizes, he chuckles and nods.

"Yeah, told you he had a problem" He teases. "He had already lost two fingers by the time I was born..." he shrugs a little. "He was a good man, just a little...broken" he smiles and chuckles a little. "My dad used to tell me that you could never trust a word that gramps said as he was always playing some con..." Alaric looks at her and shrugs. "The number of stories I heard about how he met my grandmother, I still don't know which one is true."

"Your family sounds much more interesting than mine" she offers, he snorts.

"Says the girl that's actually related to Zeus" he points out, she smirks back at him.

"I don't think I've heard you talk about your family before," she tells him, he nods in agreement.

"Nothing to talk about really" he admits. "Just a family....mom, dad, grandparents...lived and died..." he nudges her knee with his. "Least one day our kids won't be able to say that we're boring" He teases with a smile.

"You think about stuff like that?" she asks him, he shrugs.

"Yeah, I guess...." He admits. "Think about calling you my wife one day" She stares at him. "Maybe a kid or two..." he notes her look. "If you want" he is quick to add. "Any of that...You don't have to......I shouldn't have said that" he goes to stand, to flee this whole conversation. Diana grabs his arm to stop him. She kneels on the bed when he turns back to her.

"You wanted to play poker" she whispers, he nods a little but he does note that there is something soft in her eyes. "So let's play" he lets out a breath and sits back on the bed with her.

.............

Bonnie crosses the Grill's parking lot, her fingers digging her keys out of her pocket. She pauses a little and frowns before looking at her car. There is a figure standing in front of her, between the car and the Bonnie, they cock their head at Bonnie who clears her throat. The figure steps forward to reveal a woman dressed in what can only be described as medieval armor, a fur cloak, and a battle tiara. Bonnie suddenly feels very nervous in her presence. She's beautiful. And definitely not from around here. Bonnie waves a little when the woman looks at her. She already has an idea who this woman is, so she's going to be nice and not do anything to anger or upset her.

"Bonnie Bennett?" The woman asks her, Bonnie nods. "My name is Artemis," She tells Bonnie who is staring at her, Bonnie nods slightly. "I received your letter" Artemis holds up the letter in her hand. "Take me to Diana....now" Bonnie nods again in agreement because she is not about to piss off an actual goddess.