Chapter Thirty-Eight

At the Grill, Jenna is sitting at a table with Diana and Alaric as they have lunch together. Diana looks slightly better with Bonnie's help. Her skin has a glow that makes it look like she's just sent a month in the sun and not a dungeon.

"So now I'm playing historical society hostess to some writer who's doing his book on small-town Virginia," Jenna tells Diana who smiles a little listening to her. She hasn't seen her aunt in an entire month, and she could be talking about anything and Diana would just be happy to talk with her at all.

"Well, that sounds..." Diana starts and struggles to find the right word.

"Lame, yeah, but Carol Lockwood played the 'dead husband' card, said she was too busy to deal. Plus, your mom kept most of the archives, so there you have it." Jenna grabs her jacket and scoots out the booth. "I have to get going," She tells them and smiles at Diana. "I'm glad your back..." Diana smiles back at her before Jenna walks away. Alaric kisses Diana's head.

"I'll be right back," he tells her before following after Jenna. "Jenna" Alaric calls to her, she frowns and turns to face him. "There's something I need to talk to you about..."

"Now?" She asks as she checks her watch.

"No, it can wait..." He assures her.

"Sure, how about you come over for dinner?" She asks him, Alaric nods. "Alright, good...." Jenna then hurries away. Alaric takes a breath as Tyler arrives and joins Caroline at a table. Diana looks over at them.

"Hey." Tyler greets Caroline.

"Hey. What's wrong?"

"This girl Mason knows stopped by the house. She said he never made it back to Florida. My mom is freaking out and she was on the phone with your mom when I left." Diana continues looking at them as she eavesdrops on their conversation. "We should get going."

"Yeah" Caroline gets up and shares a knowing look with Diana before she leaves with Tyler. Diana stands from the booth and heads towards Alaric. He raises an eyebrow at her.

"Someone is asking questions about Mason," she tells him. "We have to tell the others" she comments and goes to walk past him.

"No, no, no" He grabs her hand to stop her, she looks at him. "We're not doing anything supernatural today" he scolds her a little. "Just you and me...hanging out..." she searches his eyes and frowns before nodding.

"Okay" she whispers, he steps closer to her.

"Okay?" he asks her, she nods.

"Yeah, it's been pretty full-on for a month and I've missed you" he smiles softly at her, he takes her face in his hands.

"I've missed you too" he assures her. "So what do you want to do?"

"Can we watch a movie?" she asks him. "I'm still really tired."

"Sure" he nods. "Whatever you want" he takes a breath. "I'll call Derek, get him to deal with the Mason thing"

..............

"Have you asked her yet?" Derek asks the second he picks up the phone.

"No" Alaric answers. "And stop telling people....someone's going to end up letting slip around Diana...and I want it to be a surprise"

"So why are you calling? Was it just to tell me off for being super supportive and excited?"

"No" Alaric answers with a smile. "Someone's been asking questions about your Uncle Mason"

"Oh," Derek offers. "My Uncle that Damon murdered"

"I know it's a lot to ask, but can you keep an eye on what's going on....?"