Chapter Forty-Nine

At the Gilbert Lake House, Elijah is walking towards the house. He kneels and grabs some rocks from the gravel road. Inside, Elena starts to walk towards the front door, but Stefan grabs her by the arm. Elijah has gotten up outside and tosses the rocks from hand to hand. Stefan hears him.

"He's here." Elijah throws the rocks at the door, breaking it off its hinges. Elena looks at Stefan.

"You have to go. I need to talk to him alone."

"Elena..."

"Stefan, I'm okay. He can't come in the house." Elena tells him, they both cringe a little when Diana's telepathy hits them.

"Don't do anything stupid....I'm talking to you, Elena...we have a plan, just sit tight" She assures them both. Stefan nods and takes Elena's hand. Outside, Elijah walks closer to the house.

"You know, I might not be able to enter this house...But I'm a very patient man. I'll wait you out." Elijah warns Elena. Suddenly, Elijah gasps and falls forward to the ground, dead. From his back, Diana's makeshift dagger arrow protrudes from his back. Behind him, Diana lowers her bow and smirks as Damon appears at her side. Stefan and Elena step out of the house and look at them as Alaric joins Diana.

"Little tip. Don't pull the dagger out." Damon tells them as he, Diana, and Alaric head towards the lake house. "Seems like you guys could use some good news right about now, huh?" Damon asks whilst side-eyeing Diana and Alaric.

"It would be nice" Elena agrees with a sigh.

"How about engagement news?" Damon asks, Elena frowns at him and then looks at Diana and Alaric when she figures it out.

"Are you?" she asks. Diana shoots Damon a look, he shrugs back at her.

"Yeah" Alaric answers. "We are"

"Di" Elena whispers and hugs her sister tightly, Diana smiles and hugs her back. "This is good news" She adds and then pulls back. "We have to throw a party," Elena tells her as she holds Diana's hand tightly. "Really celebrate...We could do it here" Elena offers and motions to the lake house.

"Elena" Diana stops her. "That sounds great, but with everything going on, I don't think a party is the best idea"

"I think it's a great idea" Alaric argues, Diana looks at him. "Like you said, with everything going on....we need something fun, just an afternoon or an evening where..."

"We're human" Stefan finishes with a small smile. "Celebrating a human thing...doing human stuff...." Diana smirks a little.

"Alright," She whispers. "But nothing over the top....just those closest to us...hanging out....with food" Elena nods. Diana takes a breath and looks at the broken door. "I'll call someone to come out and fix that door" Diana comments as she pulls out her cell phone.

"We're going to stay here a couple more days" Stefan looks at Elena who nods in agreement. "We can see to the repairs"

"Thanks" Diana lets out a breath. "There's a number for a guy in the day planner in the office" She offers, Elena nods. "And some cash in the safe...you remember the lock code?" Elena nods.

"I remember" Elena assures her.

"Let's get Elijah back" Damon comments as he lifts Elijah's body from the gravel. "Nice shot, Watchdog"

..............

Alaric rubs at his eyes as he grabs two bottles of water from the fridge at the Gilbert House. John walks into the room, Alaric groans as John leans against the counter behind Alaric.

"You know, even a blind man would notice that there was something different with Diana, even before your little stunt with the wine at dinner" John muses. Alaric glances at him as he closes the fridge. "She's a little fuller...." Alaric's eyes harden. "Almost as if she was actually pregnant" Alaric tightens his hold on the bottles in his hand. "Explains the engagement I suppose...." John adds with a smirk. "It would be such a shame if something were to happen to them.....or if someone were to tell Jenna" Alaric takes the ring off his finger and places it on the table.

"You want it? Take it. It's yours. And after what you did to Damon..." Alaric smirks and shrugs. "You're gonna need it more than me." Alaric then starts to leave. "Threaten Diana or my child again....I'll kill you myself" Alaric warns him as he passes John and heads back upstairs.

.....................

Diana is at her desk typing away on her laptop when Alaric walks into her room, he lets out a breath as he watches her a moment. John's threat actually got to him. Diana and himself are still adjusting to the news themselves, they are still trying to figure out things. They will tell the others when they are good and ready, and John threatening to out the pregnancy to Jenna just threw him a little. Alaric doesn't actually think John is capable of physically hurting Diana, she's too strong for that, but telling people he could do.

"What's wrong?" Diana asks Alaric as he sits on the end of her bed.

"John"

"Urgh, he's living here again?" she counters. "I told him to take his shit and leave...." she takes a breath and stands. "I'm going to say something" she starts to leave but he stops her with a firm hand on her wrist, she frowns and looks down at him. "What did he do?" she asks him, he pulls her closer and nuzzles into her stomach.

"Threatened you" he mumbles. "And them....and threatened to tell Jenna"

"What did you do?" she counters.

"I gave him what he wanted" he answers. "I gave him his ring back"

"Why would you do that?" She asks him. "Ric, that ring is the only reason you are still alive..." he nods in agreement.

"I know...." he agrees. "But everything that happens with you and me and this..." he touches her stomach. "It has to be on our terms, no one else gets a say...no one else gets to break that news to anyone else...." he stands and kisses her softly. "I won't let anything happen to either of you, and I won't let anyone do anything to upset you" she touches his cheek and smiles. "So he can have his ring...." he shrugs a little and cups her face in his hands. "Coming to bed?" he asks her, she nods.

"Let me get changed" she pulls back from him, he takes a deep breath and pulls his shirt off over his head. "Hey, I called Meredith," She tells him as she pulls off her dress. "She said she's happy to give me the once over.....but she's not an OB-G...LMNOP" He chuckles.

"An OB-GYN?" he asks her, she shrugs and smirks.

"I can never get that right" she teases. "I have one" She offers. "My dad made me go when I started dating Derek...She's fine but.....This isn't exactly a human baby" she points out and touches her stomach. Alaric hums in agreement as he pushes his jeans down his legs before climbing into bed. Diana steals his shirt from the floor and pulls it over her head. "I wish Penelope was still alive" She admits when she climbs into bed with him. "I have so many questions now...." he holds out his arm to allow her to get comfy at his side, he curls his arm around her when she settles. "Things I will never get to ask her" she sighs a little and rests her head on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry" he offers as he strokes her arm, she hums a little. "Maybe we can contact Artemis, she might have some insight, she did give birth to a demigod-demon baby" he reminds her, she nods.

"Yeah" She agrees. "She did...." she lifts her head a little to look down at him. "Smartypants" she teases, he chuckles and pulls her closer.