Chapter Thirty-Nine

Inside the Gilbert house, John is in the kitchen, watching a news channel on TV that shows Carol Lockwood making a speech about a planned memorial.

"Due to the recent tragedies that have plagued our town, we will be holding a memorial in Town Square today to honor all those we have lost. Join us and hope that as a community we can begin to heal." Elena enters the room and John switches off the TV.

"Morning" John greets.

"What are you doing here?" Elena asks him.

"Coffee?"

"We're not doing that. We did that last night. No more avoiding. Why are you here?"

"I'm here to protect you. That's all I can say for the moment."

"What do you mean that's all you can say?"

"I'll tell you more when I'm convinced I can trust you." Diana walks into the room as she shrugs out of her jacket, her eyes instantly find John, she stares at him as Alaric almost walks into her back.

"What the hell?" Diana snaps, Alaric stares at John too.

"Good morning, Diana...Alaric" John greets. "Can I get either of you a coffee?" he asks them.

"I told you if I saw you again, I'd kill you" Diana reminds him, John raises an eyebrow, Diana lunges forward to attack him, but Alaric grabs the back of her shirt and yanks her back.

"Not here" he warns her. "Jenna's coming" he whispers to her. Diana glares at John.

"Oh God, I'm late." Jenna offers as she hurries into the room, she has yet to notice John. She turns to grab some coffee and freezes.

"Jenna" John states, Jenna frowns at him and then at Diana.

"Did you know he was here?"

"No" Diana answers. "Literally just found out"

"It's okay I'm confused, right? Because we were not expecting you, like, ever." Jenna points out.

"Well, I got in late last night. Elena let me in." Diana shoots Elena a look.

"I'm still confused here," Jenna admits.

"I decided to come back and stay for a while," Jenna tells them.

"Not here, you're not." Diana snaps.

"Actually, you can't stop me from living here."

"Actually I can, as it's my name on the deed...ergo...my house" Diana reminds him. "Remember? So get the hell out...before I make you"

"As their legal guardian, I agree" Jenna adds.

"Yeah, about that...um, Elena, you want me to explain the situation, or would you like to do the honors?"

"Okay, what's going on?"

"I'm sorry, Jenna. I should have told you earlier, but..."

"I'm Elena's biological father. There, now you know." John walks away, leaving them alone to deal with a confused Jenna.

"What?!" Jenna asks them.

............

Diana paces her bedroom floor, Alaric's eyes following her agitated form, he doesn't blame her for being pissed off with John's appearance here.

"Where the hell does he get off!?" She snaps as she runs her fingers through her hair. "Turning back up here...Like he didn't try to kill...." she then lets out a shaky breath and presses her fist to her lips, her other hand on her stomach as it threatens to throw up. Alaric watches her, frowns a little.

"Diana?" he asks, she shakes her head and takes a deep breath, her fist pressed to her lips.

"I'm fine" She mumbles as she lets out her breath and lowers her hand.

"No, you're not...." he waits for her to explain. She touches her lips and sighs.

"I've felt funny since..." she touches her new necklace. "Since this happened"

"Funny?" he asks her. "Funny how?"

"Sick" She answers. "Like nauseous sick.....Even when we walked past that cake place down the street this morning...I wanted to hurl"

"You love that cake place" he points out, she nods.

"Right" She agrees. "Do you think...do you think that that was part of my soul?" she asks. "The part that...went away? Do I hate cake now? What else do I now hate?" She continues. "What if I hate that thing you do with your tongue?" He gives her a look. "It's a genuine question, Ric?" she steps closer to him. "I loved that thing" he hums a little and pulls her closer by her belt loops. He nudges her nose and then kisses her. She hums and wraps her arms around his neck to hold herself close to him.

"We haven't...since..." He starts and then sighs. "Since the night of the whole Mason barbecue thing....it's been almost a month"

"I'm sure it hasn't changed that much" she teases as she kisses his jaw, he grabs her waist. "Do you want me to stop?"

"No, God, no, don't ever stop," he tells her as he threads his fingers through her hair and pulls her head back to smile at her, she chuckles. "I like this" he whispers, she cocks her head. "You...laughing again" her eyes soften slightly. "Real laughing...happy laughing" she leans up and kisses him.

"I am happy" She whispers against his lips. "Or happier then I was a week ago" he nods a little. "Because of you" she presses a hand to his cheek. "What would I do without you?" she asks him. He rubs her back.

"You were still a capable and intelligent woman before you met me, and you always will be" he gives her a smile. "With or without me" he leans closer and kisses her.

.............

Later, Diana crosses the street and approaches Stefan at his car, he smiles seeing her, but soon drops it noting the expression on her face. He's pretty sure he's about to get punched by her.

"You brought back Uncle John?" Diana snaps at Stefan. "That was your big 'Save Elena' move?"

"I went to go look for Isobel, and I get John instead. He said he can help us, and we're desperate."

"We're not that desperate, Stefan. The guy tried to barbecue your brother! He would have been more than happy for me to go up in flames too"

"Diana, Bonnie's new witch friend is working with Elijah, so we have to assume that the moonstone was never destroyed. Elena is putting all of her faith into some deal that she made with Elijah to keep everyone safe. I mean, do you trust Elijah? I don't trust him. He's an Original, he can't be trusted. It's not like we can just go up and kill him, because apparently, he can't die!"

"I'm still waiting for the part where John is the answer."

"He knew about the sacrifice, Isobel told him. He said he knew of a way to keep Elena safe."

"And how do we do that?" Diana asks him.

"He's not talking. At least not to me anyway."

"Great work, Stefan. Top notch. As if I didn't have enough problems." Diana counters and takes a deep breath.

"How are you feeling?" he asks her, she shoots him a look.

"A lot worse than I did yesterday" She answers and then walks away from him.