Nothing But The Truth

{This may have a second part, I don't know.}

The Knights of Camelot, with the King and his Manservant, were once again getting ready for patrol, much to Merlin's irritation. He had already stopped three attempted assassinations, and had foiled a handful of Morgana's schemes, this week alone, add in his ever present nightmares and you get Wednesday. In other words, Merlin was exhausted, starving, and slightly dehydrated, this was normal in his opinion.

The Knights, however, disagreed, they thought something was seriously wrong with their friend, who had scarcely said a word since Arthur announced he and Merlin would be going on patrol as well, as there had been a supposed sighting of Morgana, and seemed to barely keep his eyes open as he ready the horses. They wanted, no, needed to figure out what was wrong with him.

"Why don't we just ask him what's wrong? I really don't think we should invade his privacy like that." Leon tried to make Gwaine see any semblance of sense.

"No. This isn't an invasion of privacy, it's not like we're breaking into his mind, we're just forcing the door to stay open." Gwaine grinned triumphantly as the other Knight sighed,

"Fine, we'll put it to a vote. All those in favor raise your hand." Leon proposed, watching as three hands went up; Elyan, Percival, and Gwaine.

"Those opposed." With that three other hands went up; Lancelot, Mordred, and himself.

"Sire, you're the deciding vote, are you for or against?" The Knights turned to Arthur in anticipation, while Lancelot and Mordred shared a look of distress.

"Will this harm him in any way?" The King questioned, with a look towards Gwaine who shook his head, no. "Then I see no reason why we shouldn't at least try to figure out what's wrong with him, however, ask him first if he refuses to answer, then by all means, go ahead." Being agreed they mounted their horses and started their patrol.

During the ride, Merlin couldn't shake the feeling of sleep creeping up on him, what made it worse was the glances the Knights kept giving him. He almost sighed in relief as they stopped for the night.

The Knights continued to share glances, at each other, while keeping an eye on Merlin as he sluggishly set up camp.

"Hey, Merlin, you okay? You seem kind of out of it, mate." Gwaine eventually piped up, getting Merlin's attention, who rolled his eyes.

"I'm fine." The manservant muttered, before turning back to the dinner cooking on the fire, unaware of the Knights turning to look at their King, who nodded his consent.

From Merlin's point of view the night was normal from there they ate and set the watch order for the night, what was not normal, to his utter horror, was the fact he wasn't on watch at all for the night, which meant he had to sleep, with a Knight on guard, while he had a nightmare, which, according to Gaius, are loud. Merlin shuttered before laying down to try to sleep.

When the sun had come up the next morning, and Merlin was nowhere to be seen, those at the camp began to panic, but before they started a search and rescue, Merlin came walking into camp, freezing at the sight of the Knights awake and battle ready, staring at him, mouths agape.

"Merlin! Where have you been?" Arthur exclaimed, staring at him.

"Out walking, couldn't sleep." He answered truthfully, before starting on breakfast.

Mordred, did you give me some truth finding potion? Merlin asked his friend telepathically.

It was Gwaine's idea, he wanted to make sure you were okay, they wanted to find out what was wrong. I won't lie, I did too.

He responded, with a slight tone of regret, before turning back to the Knights who were eating their breakfast.

"So, Merlin, why couldn't you sleep last night?" Gwaine pushed his food away, staring at the manservant.

"Nightmares." Merlin again answered truthfully, with a sigh, he accepted his fate.

Goodbye, Camelot. The Warlock bit the words back before he said them out loud.

Don't be so dramatic, Emrys! Mordred teased a small smile visible on his face, a voice broke through their thoughts, as the King started talking.

"Merlin, what was bugging you some much yesterday?" Merlin looked deep in thought, a smile smirk playing on his lips.

"Something was bugging me? Yesterday?" Merlin retorted, visibly relaxing, as the Knights' grins slipped off their face.

"Yes, Idiot, something was bothering you yesterday, and you need to tell us what that was." Arthur tried once more.

"I was just tired, that's all." The manservant insisted, as the Knights quickly looked at each other, before focusing back in on Merlin, as Gwaine spoke up.

"Why, Merlin, are you so tired? Is it because the princess works you too hard?" The question was as genuine as the drunk could have asked, and maybe that's the reason Merlin decided to tell the whole truth, instead of finding a loophole, or maybe it was whatever truth potion they gave him, if he was asked though he'd say it was the first.

"No, Arthur doesn't work me that hard, I was.. I am tired from stopping several assassinations, and schemes, which threatened Camelot, the King, his Queen, and the people's lives and livelihood... and the nightmares don't help." A large portion of the group looked at him in shock.

"What kind of nightmares?" Leon asked quietly,

"My execution, all of you turning on me, cheering when I die..." He answered in a whisper.

"And why would we do that?"

"Because of my magic, and I try to explain, I was born this way, that I was breaking the law by breathing, that my magic is the same as your blood, I need it or I die, but you just laugh and punch and kick and... " They all look at their friend in shock, (not all for the same reason, of course.) as a tear falls down his cheek. Lancelot is the first to react, he reaches forward and hugs the warlock, whose tears were now falling rapidly.

Arthur, of course, couldn't believe his best friend (though he'd never admit it) had magic. His father had told him, magic was evil, wasn't it? It had taken both his parents, and had corrupted his sister. Merlin couldn't be evil, but Merlin had magic. Maybe there's more to magic then what his Father thought.

{A/N: Please Comment Feedback. Criticism is Appreciated!}