Chapter 1

"Curiosity often leads to trouble."

"Come now, Eleanor! That was pathetic!" Her father shouted.

Eleanor stood up from the padded foam flooring and wiped the sweat from she forehead. She took a deep breath in, trying to catch her breath.

"Why must we learn this muggle fighting?" She complained looking at her father before raising her fists once more.

"You may be an excellent dueler but there may come a chance where you lose your wand and you're required to rely entirely on your senses, and your fists."

Eleanor took a breath and swung, her punch being blocked by her father. She stomped her foot in frustration.

"You show your emotions too much. Hide them in a fight. Keep your true feelings masked behind fake ones and no one will be able to see your next move." Her father was a cheerful man, but when they trained he was emotionless. He told Eleanor over and over again to do the same, mask her emotions.

She wanted to make him proud.

"Now hit me again."

Eleanor swung her fist forward, her father ducking down and throwing a punch. Eleanor blocked the attack and kneed him in the diaphragm causing him to lose his breathe. Eleanor threw another punch and then kicked him in the chest.

He fell over but he grinned, "Better. That's enough for today." Eleanor reached down and helped him up. "Good job," he nodded at his daughter who returned the smile.

Eleanor smiled at her parents. "Thank you, I love it," she whispered.

She held the necklace in her hands and gazed down at it. The necklace had a silver chain with a silver snowflake at the end. Encrusted in the middle of the snowflake were blue gemstones.

"Happy Birthday, Ellie," Annie King gleamed at her daughter. January 7th was the day Eleanor turned 16.

Harry King let out a fond laugh, "I can't believe my little girl is growing up. 16! Can you believe that Annie? 16!" He gushed.

Annie took the necklace from Eleanor's hands and placed it around her neck. Eleanor grinned, she loved the small necklace.

Now she had one that represented each season, a sunflower for summer, a rose for spring, a leaf for autumn, and a snowflake for winter.

"Louise will be over soon for your birthday brunch! We have a surprise for you!" Annie exclaimed, clapping her hands together in excitement.

"And as a treat, you don't have to practice dueling today," her father added.

Eleanor has been training since she was 11. For what, she didn't know. She became an excellent dueler and had been learning muggle fighting for the past 3 months.

Eleanor walked to her wardrobe so she could find a pretty outfit for her birthday. She hoped her parents would allow her outside, past the property's gates. She had been waiting for this moment for years.

She lived in a small neighbourhood, with few people. She had never met her neighbours though. The only people who ever visited the house were her Tutor and her Nurse. Her nurse lived with them, but her tutor came and went because she had a family of her own.

Putting on a maroon skirt and a cream sweater, Eleanor made her way downstairs.

The staircase was grand in many ways. It was large, and like most of the house, white and gold. White marble steps lined with a white railing with gold accents.