Chapter 5

"his mind is a diamond.
cold, hard, and brilliant."

The days passed with speed and soon Eleanor was waiting for the rest of the students to arrive. She stood beside Professor Dumbledore, she was to be announced before the first years were sorted.

She was rather nervous. The thought of standing in front of all those curious eyes made her uncomfortable.

She needed to be able to hide. She couldn't allow a single one of them to be able to figure her out.

She wanted them to. She wanted to be punished for what she did, but the rational side of her told her to hide, to lie.

The side her father taught her to be. Never let your emotions show if you don't trust the people you are with. Be an observer, know who you're talking to. Those were a few things she remembered.

She spent her time deciphering more of her books. It took some time, German and French were complicated languages, ones she was not fluent in.

To her luck, the Latin mixed in with the German and French helped her understand the context better. She was thankful she chose Latin to learn instead of another language, as most of the books were in Latin.

"Eleanor," Dumbledore called causing her to look at the professor, "the first years have arrived. Follow me," he said.

Eleanor nodded and followed the professor to the fetch the first years. They all looked up at her with beady, curious eyes.

Dumbledore spoke to them but she zoned him out. Soon he beckoned then forward and Eleanor walked by his side as he led them to the Great Hall.

The doors opened and the first years' jaws dropped at the sight of the beautiful hall. Even Eleanor had to admire it, she had never seen it so full of people.

"This year," Headmaster Dippet began, "we have a student joining our Seventh Years. Please welcome Eleanor King, who was sorted beforehand and placed in Slytherin," the Slytherin table clapped for their new member. "You may join the rest of the Slytherins, Miss King."

Eleanor nodded her head with a polite smile and made her way to the table. She held her head up high, remembering one thing Rose had always told her, "if you have no confidence, fake it. No one can tell the difference."

So, that's what she did. She sat down at the edge of the table, just before where the First years would be seated after they were sorted.

"Miss King," a voice said, Eleanor looked up and saw a pale boy with dark brown hair across from her. "I'm Tom Riddle, Head Boy," He said with a charming smile.

"Pleasure meeting you, Mr Riddle," she smiled, remembering to be polite.

Tom nodded and returned to reading the book he had in front of him. Eleanor returned her attention to the front of the hall and watched as the first years were sorted.

Her mind drifted, wandering how she would have felt if she went to Hogwarts in her first year. The thoughts of making friends, getting sorted, and the anticipation all made her somber.

Soon enough, dinner was served. Eleanor remained silent throughout the feast, wanting nothing more than a good rest.

Eleanor was a Pure-Blood, though her family didn't care much for blood purity. She would, however, stick with what her father taught her and never show that.

Eleanor had never experienced the world, but she was taught that while it's a wonderful place, it is also cruel and despicable. She needed to be cautious and clever if she wanted to stay out of the mess.