Chapter 8

Michael's POV

I figured out Sofia is really insecure girl and afraid of most of the things. But she is not bad as I imagined her to be.

I sighed in my chair after I finished my shift. Mrs. Jones who is also one of the nurses in my clinic, left home half an hour ago. I finished some papers and shut down my computer.

I left the clinic and drove off to the cemetary. I haven't visited Stephanie for few days due my work.

I bought bouquet of white flowers for her and after 15 minutes arrived at the cemetary. I walked to her grave which is not too far from the entrance.

I was surprised to see Sofia sitting next to her grave. I wasn't angry as last time.  She seemed to talk to her. I carefully got closer so she couldn't notice me.

''Professor at my college said that my sketch was the best in a class. He said they will make it into fabric which I was surprised to hear. But I'm happy. Also I think you are way better for your fiancè. I don't even know how could you even consider marrying him. He acts like a jerk sometimes and that really annoys me.'' I chuckled lowly and stood behind her.

''Well thank you for your compliments.'' I said sarcastically. She jumped up and looked me scared.
''Hi, Dr. Ross! I didn't notice you here.''
''If you did, would you still speaking about me being a jerk who annoy you.''
''Oh you heard that? Well I said nothing wrong.'' She shrugged and got up dusting off her pants.
''I'm not a jerk.'' I said.
''Sometimes you are.''

I sighed and put the flowers down.
''I'm sorry.'' She said suddenly.
''It's not your fault.'' I said.
''Yes, it is. You said it yourself before.''
''I didn't know the truth then.''
''What truth?''
''You got drugged at the club. You weren't at your right mind when you crossed that street.''
''But I still crossed it. I should have been on her place. I deserved this not her.'' She started crying.

''I don't blame you. I'm sorry for before.'' She shook her head.
''You don't need to apologize. I should be the one who needs to apologize.''
I hugged her tightly and she wrapped her small arms around my waist.

''You said it enough even if it's not your fault. You should live your life without any regret about what happened. If Stephanie was alive, she would definitely forgive you.'' I rubbed her back in comforting circles.

She pulled her face out and looked up at me.
''You really think she would forgive me?''
''For sure.''
''Thank you.'' She put her face back in my chest.

''Do you want to go with me on a lunch?'' She nodded and pulled away from me. She took her purse from the ground and put it on shoulder.
''Bye Stephanie.'' She said as she waved slightly. I chuckled and started walking out of the cemetary with her following behind me.

We got in my car and I started the engine.
''What do you want to eat?'' I asked her.
''We can got to some diner if you want.''
''Okay.'' I smiled.

I parked across my favourite diner. They have best food in the town and I know Sofia will like it. We got out of the car and I locked it.

I started walking across the street but noticed Sofia isn't by my side. I furrowed my eyebrows and turned around to see her standing on the sidewalk.

She was shuffling on her feet and looked at me nervously. I went to her to see what's wrong.

''Why aren't you coming?'' I asked.
''Because...'' She was dragging out before I figured out what's going on.
I took her hand and pulled her with me after I made sure there were no cars coming.

She latched onto my arm like her life depends on it. She let out a sigh of relief that I didn't miss to hear. I walked in with her in a diner where waitress greeted to us.

I pulled her to a free table where we sat across each other. Same waitress came and I ordered my usual. Burger with fries and coke. I was surprised with Sofia's order.

She took double cheeseburger with fries, coke and chocolate donut. She noticed my stare and her cheeks tainted pink which I found cute.

''I love food.'' She said.
''Sure you do.'' I smirked. She throw me a little glare that I ignored.
''Are you afraid to cross streets?'' I asked her remembering what happened few minutes ago.

''No, but I get insecure and different thoughts come to my mind that I can't ignore.''
''It won't happen again.'' I assure her.
''You don't know that.''
''You have to let go of what happened.''
''It's not that easy. And you? Do you feel sick or something?'' She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

''Why?''
''I think you forgot that I'm at fault for your fiancee's death.''
''I already told you that I don't blame you anymore.'' I snapped.

''Let's just stop talking about that, okay? Tell me about your college and the sketch you made.'' I changed the subject.

She seemed to relax and smile reached up on her face. She started rambling about assignment she did. I was listening to her attentively to not ruin the mood.