Chapter Two

When we pulled up to the lake house, my dad started making fun of Puberty Guy’s car, starting an argument, causing me to roll my eyes. When I got out, I grabbed my bag from the back of the car and shut the door. I started to make my way up to the house with the others, the rocks crunching under my feet. It smelled so fresh out here. I spotted Greg looking at me. I smiled and waved. 

I looked to the lake. I was so excited to go swimming! I loved to swim. My thoughts were interrupted by a zapping noise. I looked to the house to find one of those bug killing things hanging from the porch.

”Daddy,” Becky’s little voice said, “What’s that machine doing?”

Mr. Feder looked around a little awkwardly. “It’s getting rid of the moths, honey.”

”Where’s it taking them?” I felt bad for Becky. Shes so sweet and innocent.

I gasped when my dad said, “Hell.” I punched his arm when he walked by me to reach the porch.

”Don’t say that, Higgins,” Mr. Feder berated.

”Oh, sorry. I meant Mexico.” My father amended. I wasn’t amused. 

Mr. Feder tried to think about what to say. “It’s giving them electricity. So the moths fall asleep....e-electrically.” Well, at least he’s not lying.

Becky didn’t seem to like this answer, though. “It’s electrocuting them?! But, daddy, they’re dying!” Her big brown eyes began to weep tears.

”It’s killing them?!” Donna and Charlotte exclaimed in unison. I was a little shocked that they didn’t already know this considering they were only a couple years younger that me.

”No!” Lenny tried to fix what had happened but, just then, another moth flew into the machine, making a zapping noise.

”Daddy, no!” Becky shrieked.

“No! No, it's not. Okay, let me adjust it." He ran up to it and unplugged it. "Look they're all all right, I promise you. See? Look at this guy. Up....”He picked up the moth and threw it. The moth just fell to the ground. "He's still sleeping."

"It's dead, dad" Greg deadpanned. Okay that was kinda mean.

Greg's mom pinched his arm. "Ow!" He started to rub the assaulted spot.

I giggled and he slapped my stomach without looking at me. I made an odd sound as the breath left my lips. He's lucky it didn't hurt. I glared at him.

"Oh, a porch swing!" Mama called, changing the conversation. She pushed over poor Keithy, making him fall to the ground with a loud bang. "I know what I'm doing this weekend!" As she walked to the porch swing she stepped on the moth.

"Now it's dead."

¤   ¤   ¤   ¤

”Welcome back to 1978, everybody. The lake house." Puberty Guy yelled opening the doors. A lot of 'oo's' and 'ah's' filled the house. I have to admit, it's pretty big. I walked in and started to look around. Everything looked freshly clean, it even smelled nice.

I heard a loud noise and looked over to see Donna banging on the organ. That was a little annoying.

"Okay, guy's, so who's getting what room?" Lenny asked, bringing us all together again.

"Actually, I made a map of who get's which room. I took the liberty of reserving the room with the water bed for Gloria and myself." Puberty Guy said, looking up at Gloria.

”Ooo. You're gonna do the backstroke tonight." Gloria said, wiggling her body and eyebrows. I had to look away.

"I wanna go swimming with you guys tonight." Donna called. Ah, no you don’t, girl.