Chapter Five

There weren't many people at the Feder's house when we arrived. Just the usual gang.

Greg was still at work so he'd be a little late. While we waited Braden and I played with Becky and Bean. Braden was spinning them around while I laughed and they screamed. 

Eventually, the people started to file in and I was convinced the whole town was here. Someone had turned on some old music that was blaring in the background. I could barely hear myself think. 

Everyone was dancing around and having a good time. I stood with Andre, looking around for Greg. I wondered if I'd ever be able to find him with so many people around.

"Where do you think he is?" I asked Andre as I stood on my tip toes to see over people. "He should be off work by now, shouldn't he?"

"Well, he's either trying to find you, or he's making sure he doesn't look like an idiot in front of you. Either is possible with him." I looked to Andre to find him looking down into an empty M&M bag.

"Yeah....you're probably right." I continued looking around for him.

I heard Andre sigh. "We could go up to the front of the crowd to keep a better eye out for him."

I was already walking when I spoke, "That sounds like a great idea."

When we reached the front of the crowd I began my search for Greg again. 

I looked over the crowd when Andre grabed my arm. "Um, A-Abby."

I shook him off. "Not now, Andre."

"But Abby, it's um, Chloe."

My head snapped to Andre. "Where?" 

He raised a shaking finger to Chloe, a girl who he's had a crush on since his twelfth birthday party when she bought him some Batman stickers.

I looked back to Andre to find him drooling.

I sighed, "Why don't you go talk to her?" I suggested.

Andre turned to me with a terrified expression. "No way." He shook his head.

"Andre," I began, "It's the beginning of summer. It's time to take some risks. If I could talk to Greg you can talk to Chloe. Now go!"

"But-but," He turned back to Chloe. 

"But nothing." I stopped him from saying anything else. "Chloe is super nice, it's not like she's gonna laugh in your face. Besides, I happen to know she kinda, sorta, maybe likes you too." I shrugged.

Andre turned to me in disbelief. "Abbs, if this doesn't work, I'm gonna kill you. And if it does, I'll kiss you."

"No thanks, I got a man." I laughed, "Now go!" I pushed him forward.

Andre began taking tentative steps forward. Before he reached Chloe, he stopped. He straitened out his outfit and began forward again.

She turned when he tapped her on the shoulder. I couldn't see what he said, but a huge smile grew on her face as she laughed. 

I went back to looking for Greg after that. I was standing on my tip-toes trying to get a better view when a voice startled me.

"Hey." 

I jumped and grabed my heart. "Oh my gosh!" I looked over to see Braden. "Oh, hey." 

Braden took a look around. "You looking for Greg?"

"Yeah, I just can't find him." I huffed.

"Do you think he stood you up? I mean, you just say the word and I'll take him down."