Chapter Six

"I can't believe it! We hit the moron jackpot! Everybody who needs a beating conveniently together on one lawn." The crowd of college students all cheered in excitement from the words their leader spoke.

I, on the other hand, frowned at what the boy had said.

"Excuse me," Mrs. Feder said, stepping forward and grabbing my attention, "why are you here? What's the matter?"

One blonde guy in the front of the crowd put his hands on his hips, mocking Mrs. Feder's accent, and said, "I'll tell you what is the matter." He then said loudly in his normal voice, pointing to my father, Lenny, Eric, and Kurt, "These old townies trashed our frat house! And nobody treats our good-times headquarters with disrespect!" Their crowd cheered in agreement.

Braden stepped forward from our crowd. "They didn't do it. Me do it."

Is that what he was doing with the spray paint?

"Don't try and cover for him, Z-Dog!" One guy spoke up.

"Who's Z-Dog?" Lenny finally spoke up.

Then the leader said, "We know they're trying to get back at us for making them do the naked plunge in our swimming hole." I was reminded of the horrible sight I had seen earlier that day.

Mrs. Mackenzie then spoke out. "Your swimming hole? I've been swimming at the Quarry since I was eight years old."

"Apparently everybody in this crap town has been swimming there since they were eight years old." He exaggerated. "I guess nobody wants to leave this place because they're too busy sucking!" His crowd all cheered as he proceeded to perform a handshake with the blonde dude that lasted forever. Then, he stopped and promised to finish later. I rolled my eyes.

"Hey, smart guy!" Dickie Bailey called. "Lenny Feder left this town, moved to Hollywood, made big bucks. Probably more money than all you brainiacs put together ever will." Bailey gestured to all the college students. "But guess what? He came back here. 'Cause this beautiful town is his home. And it always will be his home."

Greg and I shared a look. To say I was shocked by what Bailey had said, would be an understatement. It always seemed to me that Lenny and Dickie had a little rivalry, but I guess it was never truly bad natured.

The blonde guy decided to speak up and ruin the moment. "Well, that was just a moving testament to this community, bro! But we didn't come here to hear any lame speeches." Their crowd was moving restlessly. "We came here to kick some old, smelly ass!" They cheered. The blonde guy turned around as the leader slapped his ass three times.

What the actual chicken nugget? Greg and I shared another look and I raised my eyebrow in question. He just shook his head slowly, unable to come up with a unfathomable explaination.

Lenny spoke up, breaking them from their cheers. "Fellas, we may be old."

"We may be smelly." My father said, which was absolutely true for him.

"We may have a penis!" Mrs. Mackenzie said. I was taken aback, so I turned to see her, Mrs. Feder, and Mrs. Lamonsoff pointing at "Fabio".

Eric spoke up, "But the only ones getting their ass kicked around here is gonna be you spoiled, privileged, uppity, preppy, D-bags." I proudly smiled at what Eric had said.

"You hear that?" Kurt asked. "Now, let's get busy!" He screamed.

Our crowd cheered and ran forward, causing the other crowd to surge forward, too. And we clashed in waves. The band picked up again.

I wasn't exactly sure what I was supposed to do when everyone started fighting. There were people throwing punches and hitting people with different objects. There was man against woman, biting, kicking, and scratching. I stood in the middle of it all for what seemed like five minutes, but what really was five seconds. Then, another girl just a couple years older came stumbling towards me.