Thantophobia

Thantophobia (n.) the phobia of losing someone you love    

  I walked along the dirt path steering clear from the main road never knew who was lingering there ready to rob you or kill because that was all they ever knew.

Inhaling the musty earth around me was rejuvenating and relaxing.I always felt more at home in the forest than in the small village southwest of it, Making sure not to spend too much time dawdling around though. Mother expected me to be home around noon and in no way was I going to miss dinner and go to bed hungry once again.

Mother was always strict with me and my brother...my brother who was shipped off to a sorry excuse for a war, a simple lost cause.Walking ahead trying to wrap around my head the simple fact he was actually gone and I wasn't going to see him again unless he was dead and they came to our humble home to tell us if the soldiers bothered or he was a deserter,I didn't know which one was worse.

Stopping to smell the earth once more when my Fae ears perked and caught another sound besides the beautiful songs the birds sang.One that I haven't heard in a while.

Laughter.

I froze no one was in these woods, they were usually empty and so big no one can be seen or heard from for miles.No one came in this deep unless they wanted to be mawed by the bears and wolves that lurked in the shadows,no sooner than I heard the laughter I smelled it,The slight tang of blood and pain seeping into my nose and making its way into my very bones not human either...but animal dammit.It's none of my business, I should just keep on walking it's not worth getting caught and being put on the menu too especially if they knew I was fae.

Being partially animal has its pros but also it's cons at a certain point the King's decree he had first drafted when he became king was that all fae whether they looked human or not were fair game.In a heartbeat hearing a yelp of pain I snapped my head up at that if you were going to kill an animal don't let it be in pain you do it quick and efficient that was if you were going to eat it I had my fair share of hunting since my brother was gone...someone had to provide food and mother was to sick. Before I knew what I was doing, running towards the smell and noises.My mother would berate me if she knew but at the moment I couldn't care less my feet were padding through the soft dirt it had rained not so long ago.Which was good for our harvest but not for running on top of.Running anyway eager to get to the noise and...

What?.

What exactly was I going to do when I got there?.

Fight them?.

Tell them it's wrong?.

But before I could stop and reevaluate my plan I fell on a slippery stone, causing me to fall to the ground knees first making me yelp.Before I can get back up and run away from the noises instead perceiving a booming voice from not so far in front of me...shit here I go causing trouble again.

"Who's there? Show yourself!" I trembled but got up on careful feet not tryna to draw anymore attention to myself in a flash i felt someone at my back I moved out of the way as quickly as a foot came out and kicked the spot I was just in.

I had fallen again but I wasn't dead which wasn't as reassuring when I saw the man in the Armonds royal guard clothes.Damn the gods at this point it couldn't get any worse from here.Quickly looking down, my long hair covered my slightly pointed ears to anyone it would be a sign of respect.To me it was fear of being exposed and possibly executed.Then who did my mother have.

Who would my mother have if i got caught.

.

.

.

No one is the answer.

"Hello there pretty thing" his voice was harsh and as hard as granite his boots were covered in blood.

"Hello" Murmuring low I cursed my quaking voice, I need to be strong at the moment not some pathetic quaking mess.He snorted in amusement I heard him step a little bit closer until my eyes and his feet were in close proximity.

 "Such a solemn voice I bet if you looked me in the eyes and smiled you would catch a pretty penny-" he paused for a second letting out a chilling chuckle before continuing "-but maybe your mother smiles more,eh?"I balled my fist at his condescending voice, but slackened them just as quickly any show of defiance.

What do you think your doing you fucking idiot,I don't know this is more trouble than it's worth.God damn it Aia.He would leave you on the mushy ground where you would be left to rot and no one to find you

I heard more rustling and let my head up slightly to keep my hair in place and not let them discover who I was. I would either be killed or sold in parts for the healing properties my body offered.When I saw a boy barely older than me mixture of white and red hair how peculiar with one grey eye and the other blue he wore a red fitted jacket with golden buttons and black pants. The other was around the same age as well with blonde groomed hair and slate blue eyes and less flashy clothing but still expensive looking.

soldiers in training?

The war against the Fae lands was getting harder, most of us came to seek sanction away from here.

My sharp eyes scanned the boys, uneven breathing and a tang of slight fear and smugness tainted the air it was suffocating.His wide sky eyes when he beheld me I can imagine the sight disgusted him a girl on her knees with rags covered in mud and leaves on compared to his polished tunic and pants my eyes met his and he offered a small smile quickly I put my head down hunched my shoulders in slightly more to seem less of myself my mother taught me an eager child to escape whatever punishment the man was to deal me.

"General Nemoto (hes part of overhauls crew T^T i never see him in any book so i thought he might feel left out sorry for adding an irrelevant character), We must leave we don't have time for the peasant I'm sure we can find another pretty girl at the market" The blonde haired boy words were final and the tension in the air shifted along the lines of annoyance. I could smell the different emotions they felt in an instant like a sixth sense I've always been able to do that but when I told my mother she told me to hush and not to say things like that to her, I looked nothing like her and although she wasn't Fae my father certainly was.

I should be thankful but all I felt was hatred. They didn't ask me any questions. I had to open my mouth wide to speak up. If not they would have seen my pointed teeth. I was going to get up and walk away when I heard the guard murmur too low for any normal human ears to hear.

"Filthy dukes son"

I snapped my head up looking at the two boys causing my hair to get out of place and reveal my pointed ears

" What's this? Half Fae are we?"he leered at me and the air moved again with murderous intent he was going to kill me Oh by Tamera goddess of wild things please save me just this once looking at the blonde haired boy who almost saved me if I hadn't been caught so off guard when I...

IF YOU GO THIS FAR AND ARE NOT BORED YET THEN THANK THE GODS I promise I'll have romance and AHEM those type of scenes in chapters to come right now this is what happened to get her to where she is now one of the Kings executioners I promise I'll get into deeper detail just bear with me the next chapter will be her waking up in her bed fully grown up around let's say 21 yuppers sorry for the cliff hanger haha 👀no I'm not