Chapter 12

Elena was determined to enjoy the day, despite all of the sad and depressing things they had talked about recently. The mall parking lot was not too full, probably because it was a weekday. But Stefan had still parked way out in the middle of nowhere, saying his door had been dinged on more than one occasion in a parking lot. So she kept a fast pace to keep up with him as they walked toward the mall entrance. "So, is there anything in particular that you are looking for?" Elena asked as they went to cross the road.

Stefan stuck his arm out and stopped her as a truck continued to drive on by with no indication that it was going to stop. Then they continued walking. "I don't know. Maybe new jeans since Caroline always complains that mine are old" he said, looking down at his jeans as he walked. They looked fine to him. "Oh, she's coming for a visit this weekend, by the way. Alaric too" he announced.

"So which one of them is actually your best friend?" Elena questioned, entering the mall doors with him.

"Well" Stefan said, thinking about it carefully. "I've known Caroline forever which means I know everything about her and she knows everything about me. But Alaric is a guy and understands me better" he analyzed. Then he stopped and turned to her. "But my actual best friend?" he said, a smile playing on his lips. "Why that would be Lily" he announced.

Elena swore her heart just melted. "You know, if you had been this sweet when you first met me, instead of trying to get me into bed, you would have had an easier time convincing me to marry you" she told him.

Stefan grinned. "I'm still trying to get you into bed. I'm just taking a different approach" he announced, beginning to walk again. She raised an eyebrow. "Oh come on, it has been well over a month since I ..." he began, looking around to see who might be listening. "Got ... some" he said, trying to be mature about the whole thing. "Don't think I'm not eager still to ... get some ... with you" he told her, his grin still present.

Elena followed him, curious as to what his new approach was. "And just how are you planning to get some with me?" she asked. She had already told him it wasn't happening. Ever.

Stefan shrugged. "I'm backing off. Letting you come to me" he explained.

Elena scoffed. "You think I will come to you?" she asked.

Stefan looked over at her and smiled. "I really do" he answered her. "When you are ready" he added, veering off into one of the stores. Elena followed him.

"I already told you. It's not going to happen" she reminded him, crossing her arms.

"Okay" was all he answered as he picked up a pair of jeans and examined them. "What do you think?" he asked.

Elena was annoyed. "They're nice" she grumbled.

Stefan walked back by her and looped an arm around her waist, pulling her in close so he could whisper in her ear. "Lack of sex - good sex - makes me grumpy too" he told her, smiling as he felt her shove him off of her.

Stefan chuckled, slapping her backside as he wandered off to look for a dress shirt.

Elena clenched her hands and glared in his direction. He made her want to scream out in frustration sometimes. But when she didn't want to scream, she wanted to be around him. Because he made her smile. And she hadn't done a lot of that in a while. So what was the harm in giving in to Stefan's advances? It was just sex, right? Two consenting adults who appeared to be attracted to one another. And then she remembered why she was so against sleeping with Stefan. But was it a valid reason? Especially if she was supposed to be moving forward with her life?

Elena shook the thought from her mind and looked around for Stefan. He was paying for his clothes. As she approached, she realized that the woman behind the counter was flirting with Stefan. Her hand was resting on his arm and she was leaning over the counter, laughing at whatever it was that Stefan was saying. "Disgusting" Elena mumbled.