Chapter 28

Derrick had a map splayed out before him on a pile of pallets, his cell phone proving useless with the lack of service in the old, rundown building. He had showed up early to get a head start on figuring out where he and Elena were headed to. It only made sense to head West. He had an aunt in Kansas that he figured they could stay with for a little bit until they could take off for Alaska. He had a cousin there who could get him a job on a boat. As he mapped out their destinations, he felt a surge of success course through him. He had done it. After all of these years, he had gotten Elena back. And he intended on keeping her.

A car door slamming shut distracted him from his plans. He tossed his pen down and checked his watch. 4:30 PM. Elena was thirty minutes early. That was alright with him. It would give them a little bit of a head start. Derrick leaned back against the stack of pallets, crossing his arms, and waiting for Elena to come inside. He knew that she was still upset with him. He also knew that it would pass because she really did love him underneath all that anger. When her figure appeared just inside the doorway, dark enough to not be seen, he smiled. "You're early. That will give us time to stop for dinner" he said.

As the figure emerged towards him and into the light, Derrick's face hardened. "You must be Derrick" the person said, continuing to walk towards him.

Derrick stood straight up and looked over this person walking towards him. Derrick was angry and he could feel his frustration beginning to get the better of him. He felt deceived. But he had to remain calm if his plan was to work out. "Where's Elena?" he asked, figuring that since this person knew who he was, it was a safe bet to ask.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Elena dotted the last sentence in her letter before signing her name and folding the paper in half. She left her letter to Stefan right beside the one she had written for Jeremy and Bonnie and Lily. Elena had asked Stefan to give them her letters, hoping that after his anger and hurt had subsided, he would do it. She had to rewrite Stefan's a few times, either because her shaky hands messed something up or her tears made the ink run down the paper.

She looked around her room one last time, telling herself that she was not going to miss this place all that much, but knowing it was a complete lie. She loved this old house and everything in it. From the antique furniture to the memories she had made. Then, she grabbed her bag and headed on down the stairs.

She was going to have to hurry if she wanted to catch the bus. Elena placed her key on the table by the doorway and took a deep breath before opening the door to head out.

A small gasp escaped her as she stopped dead in her tracks. "Going somewhere?" the person asked.

XXXXXXXXXXX

"Elena?" Stefan said, letting each syllable in her name ring in the air. Stefan looked around and even behind him. "Well, I uh ... I don't see her. Do you?" he asked, finishing his question with a smile.

Derrick was not amused. At. All. "Will I be expecting Elena tonight?" Derrick asked, tired of beating around the bush.

Stefan's smile disappeared instantly. "No. Elena will not be present tonight" he answered. "I thought tonight might be better spent with the two of us having ourselves a little chat" he explained.

Derrick laughed at how ridiculous that sounded. "I don't have time to, chat, with you, Stefan, is it?" he asked. "You see, Elena and I have a long drive ahead of ourselves" he told Stefan.

Stefan took a step closer to Derrick. "Well, unfortunately, Elena will not be joining you on your road trip" Stefan informed. "She is married to me" he said, smiling once again. "And she has school to finish. That leaves little time for a road trip right now, wouldn't you agree?"