Chapter 41

I didn't honestly think you would bring me here" Elena said as she looked out the window of their rented SUV. For the most part, all she saw was white as far as she could see. They hadn't really had all that much snow in Virginia that year, so she was definitely getting a taste of it while she was in Alaska.

Stefan turned his head towards her and smiled at her. With one hand on the steering wheel, he grabbed her hand with his free hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. "You know I'll always give you everything you want" he told her.

While Elena's heart did melt in her chest, she also laughed. "You're going to regret that one day" she told him, looking back out the window. She had big plans to renovate his – their – house and she was pretty sure he wasn't going to like it. Still, comments like those made her wonder if this was real or if she was going to wake up and find out that it was all just a dream. Marrying him. Loving him. It didn't seem real.

"Never" Stefan said, turning back to the road. Little did she know, she would have a brand new car waiting at home for her when they returned. It was about time. He had even brought Lily along to get a girl's opinion, since a girl would be driving it. While Stefan was concerned about safety and dependability, Lily was concerned about the color of the car, the sound system, and of course, the number of coffee cup holders. Lily always used up all of them whenever she was in anyone's car, placing in them bottles, hair clips, or, he cringed at the thought, her gum. Or anything else she needed to find a spot for. Thankfully after four and a half hours of searching, Lily talked him into one.

A comfortable silence passed over Stefan and Elena for a little while. "Are we almost there?" Elena asked. She was eager to get to wherever it was that Stefan was whisking her away to.

"Almost" Stefan said, looking around.

Elena crossed her arms and grinned. "You're lost" she told him.

Stefan got defensive. "I am not" he told her. Elena laughed at him and he was pretty sure she was the only one who could do that. He would never let anyone else get away with it. "It's just right over that hill" he informed her, really having no idea if it was or not.

"You're lucky you're cute" Elena told him. She didn't like getting lost with just anyone.

Stefan turned and looked over at her with the biggest smile ever. "I am pretty cute, aren't I" he said, clearly enjoying the attention she was giving him.

"Don't let it get to your head, Stefan" she told him. He reached his hand over to her and attempted to poke her side. "Hey!" she laughed, grabbing his hand. "Watch the road" she warned. "You're already lost enough" she smirked.

Stefan made sure to watch the road but went back after her, grabbing whatever he could. Elena laughed and curled into a ball to avoid his tickling hand at all costs. "Are you going to stop saying I'm lost?" he asked.

Elena was near tears from laughing so much. "No" she told him and fell into a fit of giggles as he tickled her even more. This was torture and she loved every minute of it. Every bad thing she had experienced in a relationship before was lost in her mind and the only suffering she felt right now was the immense fear that she was going to pee her pants.

Stefan took pity on her and let up finally. "Only because I don't want you to pee in here" he smirked. She swatted at his hand and sat up, her eyes still watering and her face still bright red.

"You're horrible" she told him, fixing her shirt and wiping at her eyes.

"That's not what you said last night" he reminded with a sly grin.

Elena thought about rolling her eyes and scolding him for that comment. But then she realized that was what he expected her to do. "You're right. You were pretty amazing last night" she agreed, turning to look at him. Stefan's grin fell as he looked at her. That wasn't the reaction he had expected. She was playing with him. That had to be it.