Chapter 34

One month. Elena knew she had been in LA for one month because her co-workers had flooded her office with balloons and flowers to congratulate her for making it past the introductory training for the new job. Now, for the most part, she would be working on her own. And she was ready to do so.

Everything about the day was perfect. Her co-workers brought her lunch. They congratulated her every time they bumped into her in the hallway. She felt like she deserved this recognition too. She had put as much time and effort into this job as she possibly could. Though it wasn't hard when she had a reason to work so much. A need to keep her mind distracted.

Stefan still hadn't returned her calls. She gave up two weeks ago after two weeks of calling every day, leaving messages every day, and every day, hearing nothing back. So, she gave up finally. It became easier to forget until she would run across a photo of them – though there weren't many – and then she would break down into tears. Because when all was said and done, she still loved him, despite how hurt she was that he wouldn't even call her.

Elena knew that she had hurt Stefan too. She sometimes thought about what life would be like right now if she had decided to stay with Stefan in Mystic Falls. Would he treat her the same way for the rest of their lives? Part of her wanted to question his loyalty to her, especially when she thought about his partying tendencies and all of the women that kept him company. Then again, he hadn't partied or met up with any women the whole six months that he was married to her. But could he stay away from all of that forever? She really hated all this doubt that had built up inside of her.

Stefan had also been hell bent on not wanting a family of his own. Elena wanted kids of her own. Two. One boy and one girl. It saddened her to think that they wanted such different things, even though they were in love. Well, maybe she was the only one still in love. Maybe Stefan had moved on with a woman who didn't want a family and who just wanted to spend his money and warm his bed. The thought made her sick.

Elena still hadn't collected her one million dollars. She remembered back when she had been so eager to have that much money. She was going to make sure Bonnie and Jeremy were taken care of, but Bonnie had made it clear that they didn't need Elena taking care of them. Elena had planned on buying her family home back, but now that she was in California, she didn't think it would be very practical to own a home clear across the country. She had also planned to pay off her student loans with the money Stefan owed her. Then he went and paid her loans for her as a graduation present.

So now, the money would only serve to make her feel guilty because she had broken the rules and fallen in love with him. He had done so much for her. He loved her and protected her. But most of all, he had believed in her. So, taking his money was no longer an option. It wouldn't be right.

Her thoughts were interrupted by one of her co-workers tapping on her door. "Come in" Elena smiled, even though she didn't feel like smiling anymore today.

"I just wanted to congratulate you again" the woman smiled. "A few of us were going out for drinks. Did you want to join us?" she asked, walking further into the office.

Elena shook her head. "I think I am going to stay in this evening, but thank you" she replied politely.

"Okay" the woman said cheerfully. She was about to exit the room when she noticed a framed photo sitting on Elena's desk that she hadn't seen before. "Who's this cutie?" she asked, grabbing the photo and picking it up.

Elena's heart hurt quite a bit just thinking about Lily. The little girl had continued refused to take her calls and like with Stefan, Elena had eventually given up. "My niece, Lily" she told her. It was weird to call Lily her niece, seeing as how she never had in the past. But technically, she was Lily's aunt. "She'll be seven in a few months." Elena secretly wondered if she would get an invite. If Lily would even want her there. If anyone would want her there.