Chapter Five

Chapter Five
The smell of freshly baked rolls engulfed me as I walked through the front door of my home. I hung my bag up on the hook and took my shoes off, placing them on the clear shelf above the coat rack.
The farther into the house I went the better the smell got. I entered the kitchen where my mom had every burner on the stove going. I hugged my mom, who at the moment was stirring a pot of something clumpy, and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Hi, Momma,"

Her eyes lit up at the sight of me. "Honey! We're having guests over. The Hunters are coming for dinner. Can you believe how exciting this is?"

"Yeah it's great," I feigned excitement.

"I left some clothes on the bed for you to wear. I want you to dress nicely. Your brother will be joining us later, he said he would be a little late. You two have to be on your best behavior,"

I narrowed my eyes at her, "What do you mean dress nice?" I pouted, "Please don't tell me I have to wear a dress!"

She gave me a fake sad smile and turned around, taking hold of my hands, "it's just a skirt and," She held up one finger, "it's only for one dinner. Please, Lana, this means a lot to me,"

I sighed. She was so excited about this. "Okay I'll wear the dress, but uh," I tried to come up with a way to tell her about the sweatshirt, "I kind of have to wear this sweatshirt all day for a dare,"

Her smile fell as she rubbed her head, "You and truth or dare, I swear,"

My momma was very supportive in my dare streak. I had never broken a dare and she knew that, so she never asked me to break one. I gave her a pleading look, "Fine," she agreed, "tie the sweatshirt around your waist and try to make it cute, and put on some makeup," 

I groaned but gave her a hug and rushed upstairs to change. This had to be important to her if she was asking me to wear makeup, she rarely asked me to do that.

Lying on my bed was a mid-sleeve grey top and a black skirt with a belt. I put on the outfit, throwing Caleb's sweatshirt on the bed. I combed through my hair, parting it to the side. Once that was all done it was time for the hard part: the sweatshirt.

After several attempts with it, I managed to tie it on my waist in which it looked semi-decent. I was just hoping his mom wouldn't notice. I, technically, was wearing the sweatshirt, so I wasn't breaking the dare.

I took one final look in the mirror, making sure I looked presentable. When I was finally happy with how I looked I headed downstairs. I was just in time, as soon as my feet hit the bottom step the doorbell rang.

I must have been upstairs longer than I thought because the table was now nicely set. All eight spots were set up.

It was a custom to set up my sister's spot every time we had dinner. My brother demanded that no one sit in that seat. It wasn't as important to me as it was to him. I knew a seat wasn't going to bring her back.

My mom rushed over to the door, taking her apron off and hanging it on the hook. She fixed her hair and smoothed her clothes before swinging the door open, an elastic smile spread across her face. I followed closely behind her so I was in view when the door opened.

Three people were waiting at the door. The first was a woman close to Momma's age. She had black curly hair and green eyes. Freckles spread across her face and it was clear she was Caleb's mother. The resemblance was uncanny. Next to her was Caleb, dressed in a fitted shirt and jeans as usual. He still had his black sharpie mustache plastered under his nose. Clinging on to his leg was an adorable little girl. The same girl I had seen when they first moved in. She had her face buried in Caleb's leg. I attempted to secretly glance around to check if the man that I had seen from when they first moved in was there but he didn't appear to be here.