Chapter eight

Chapter eight
The guys had sat with us all week at lunch. Videos of them sitting at our table were all over social media. It was the only thing our school could talk about. Allyson thought it was the coolest thing in the entire world. She was completely jealous, at least that's what she said. I knew in her eyes no one was better than Lucas, who she ate lunch with every day, him and the rest of their friends.

Elie still hadn't heard the news. Eliot's mom absolutely despised social media which meant Eliot wasn't allowed to have any. I figured he would have heard it from people at school but since nobody knew Vikki and my name, all Elie knew was that they switched tables to sit with some losers. Elie went on and on about how horrible Caleb was and how he was just going to play the two new girls Caleb was sitting with. Elie was convinced it was some kind of trick.

I had planned to tell him that the two losers were us, but after hearing him rant about how Caleb was a demon, I decided against it. What he didn't know couldn't hurt him. What was I supposed to do: kick them out of our table? I could never do that. Honestly, I liked having the guys there. They made lunch a lot more interesting. It was nice having more than two people at the table.

Of course, I couldn't tell Elie that. He'd simply claim I was falling into Caleb's trap. This was the second secret I had ever kept from Elie. I felt awful. He's been my best friend ever since we were in middle school, not telling him this was basically like lying to him. Elie and I were so close that even his mom, who to label strict would be a major understatement, allowed him to stay the night at my place. He was the only guy I would ever trust to stay the night at my house and now suddenly I was keeping things from him.

It was now Friday night, which meant dinner with the Hunters. It was also a movie night with Elie. He doesn't know it yet, but I'm going to convince him to watch The Princess Diaries, the first and second. I'm sure he'll complain but with enough persuasion, I think I can get him to agree.

I had thankfully managed to convince Mom to let me wear pants to this week's dinner. There was no way I was going to wear another skirt. Instead, I was dressed in a pair of ripped jeans and a maroon top, much more my style. Lucas wore an old t-shirt and a pair of faded jeans, also far more fitting to his personality.

This was what our family actually looked like. We weren't the type of people to get dressed up often. It was probably best that the Hunter's learn this from the get-go. My mother was still dressed fairly nicely, she wore a blouse and black dress pants.

She and Jacqueline had been visiting each other every single day. Momma was so excited to have a new friend. I haven't seen her this happy since Carolyn died.

Dinner tonight was at the Hunters' house. Their porch had a bright yellow wreath on the door that said 'Welcome'. To match the wreath was a yellow and white striped doormat with 'Stay Positive' written in black calligraphy. Two plants stood on each side of the door.

Momma rang the doorbell. A large man, who must have been in his late thirties, swung the door open. He had straight blonde hair and blue eyes. His jawline was chiseled and he towered over us. I was afraid he was going to bump his head on the door frame. "Hello! You must be the Valentines. My wife, Jackie, has told me a lot about you. I'm Isaac, it's nice to meet you," his voice was incredibly deep but also very cheerful.

Jacqueline popped up next to him, holding Everly. Jacqueline was almost a foot shorter than Isaac. "Come in, come in!" She invited me.

The inside of the house was even more beautiful than the outside. The layout was identical to ours, except reversed. The walls were painted a light blue cream color. The kitchen cabinets were a cobalt blue and white combination. The island counter was a marble of the two colors. The dining room table was a basic satin white with purple flowers in the center.