Chapter 4: The Rules

Sorry for the delay!! I had my exams this past couple of a week so I could not update. Anyway, enjoy!!

_______________________

"But Mrs. Rush, I-"

"Kate, I'm not going to change the partners; you have no other option."

"What are you so afraid of?" Chuck asked from behind, his silky deep voice sending shivers down my spine.

"Besides," Mrs. Rush continued, "It's not like he's going to eat you."

"Unless you want me to," Chuck whispered to me with a wide smirk.

My face became red hot with embarrassment.

"Yes, Mrs. Rush, I'll work with him," I said in a small voice.

"Great! Now split up into your pairs and start working. Remember, I'm only giving you this week to work on your thesis in school. After that, you'll either have to stay back or meet up outside. I am not wasting my classes for it. Now, split."

I turned around to go to Chuck's bench, but he was already standing right behind me. I banged into him and was about to fall down, when a pair of strong, sinewy, muscular arms caught me from behind.

"Careful there, Katie," A smooth, charming voice spoke. I turned around to face Elliot Ryder, one of the hottest guys in our school.

"Jeez, sorry," I blushed.

Elliot was kind of the golden boy of Parkdale High. He was the quarterback of our school's football team, a straight-A student, and surprisingly, also a very nice person.

"It's Kate, not Katie," barked a gruff voice behind me.

Ugh. Chuck.

He couldn't even let me admire Elliot's dirty-blonde hair that was tousled about attractively. Or his beautifully clear grassy green organs-of-sight, that showed off his long, voluminous lashes. Or his broad chest, or his muscular arms that were begging to be let out of his sleeves, or his -

"Sorry, Kate," Elliot replied.

I shook my head. "It's alri-"

"Cool, can you leave? We have to work on our thesis," Chuck interrupted.

Why was everyone interrupting me?

"Yup. Sorry. See you around," Elliot threw a warm smile at me before he left. My eyes caught Vanessa's and she mouthed: "WHAT THE FUCK."

I don't know, Vanessa. I'm as confused as you are.

"Hey Elliot, you want to work or not?"

Right. Chuck.

"Let's do it. Wait-how do you know my name? And my last name?"

"I have my resources," he answered smugly.

"Before we begin, we have to set some ground rules," I told him.

"Whatever," he rolled his eyes.

"Rule 1," I put up a finger. "You have to be serious about this. You cannot put all the pressure on me; this is a group project, not an individual one. It's very important to me that I score well."

"Nerd," he commented.

Ignoring him, I continued.

"Rule 2, we have to reach the deadlines that we set."

I paused.

"And that's it, I think."

"Great. Now, do you want to actually begin brainstorming or make up more rules?" Chuck teased me, his tone bored.

"Yeah, let's beg-"

RIIING!

The bell marked the end of the period.

"Today's time is up!" Mrs. Rush announced.

"Oops. We'll start tomorrow, I guess. Do you have any rules, Chuck?" I asked. I believed in listening to everybody's opinions.

"Yeah. Rule number 3: Don't fall in love with me."

_____________________

Vote Comment Share!!!