Chapter 7: Take Me Home

I sighed. What is up with these two boys and why did they hate each other so much?

I sent my dad a text to pick me up.

He responded quickly:
'mmm luv beer 🍺'

Ugh, he was out about drinking again, right when I needed him. I guess, just like most other days, I would be walking home today. But the nurse had advised me not to...

The sound of a roaring engine reverberated through the wind. From it's direction, I saw Chuck pull up into my sight, saddled on top of his velvety black motorcycle like it was a personal trophy.

"Hey, muffin-fish. Need a ride?" he asked. He ran a hand through his hair and his eyes glistened as he awaited an answer.

I took a strong look at his precious vehicle. Did I really want to place myself on a dangerous object like that?

Chuck could tell I was hesitating.

"I am NOT getting on that thing," I crossed my arms. "I'm not looking to die today."

"Don't worry, sweet-ranch. I don't drive rashly."

D r i v e  r a s h l y. Memories of the cursed day came flooding into my mind like waves of a turbulent ocean. My heart ached with a pain so devastating that I almost fell my to my knees. My mom appeared in front of me for a short second, donned in white khakis and a striped tee-shirt that read: 'Don't mind my driving, I'm a Sagittarius'.

That was the apparel she wore on the day of the accident. The last thing she would ever wear. I closed my eyes, breathing heavily. Make it stop. Make it stop.

"Kate, is everything alright?"

I smiled, blinking hastily to prevent the tears from falling. It was prickly in my throat. My chest felt heavier with each tiny dire recollection.

"Yes." My voice came out bleak.

Chuck took a step toward me.

"I would never let anything happen to you," he said softly.

There was a moment of silence between us.

I tensed up, still deliberating whether I should take on this precarious endeavor or not.

"Come on," he said. "It'll be fun."

I gave in to my doubts.

"Fine," I walked up to him. "But please be careful."

Placing a hand on his shoulder for support, I heaved myself onto the seat.

"Hold on tight," he said.

I put my arms around his waist. He inhaled at my touch.

We set off into the afternoon. I closed my eyes and tightened my grip around him. Chuck took in a sharp breath.

Slowly and hesitantly, I opened my eyes to the scene around me. I let myself be consumed by the smog-diffused wind and the Arizona heat.

We came to a halt outside my house. Somehow Chuck knew my address without me telling him. I got off the bike and let out a deep breath I didn't realize I was holding.

"See? That wasn't so bad."

"Thanks, Chuck."

"Anytime, butter-moose," Chuck said. He threw a quick wink at me before he departed.

Today, I felt...free. Free as a bee or whatever.

Free-er than I ever have.