Sailing

What Dream looks like^

*Allison's P.O.V*
When the ship sets sail I tell myself I will be fine. That no matter what, I can handle the rocking motion and the dark waves hitting the ship's side wasn't anything scary.

I was now regretting even thinking that as I lay curled up in between some barrels. My eyes watching the sea as I whine at every motion. Apparently fighting off littlespace when terrified was impossible for me. I curled up tighter when a wave hit the ship, my breathing growing harsher as I closed my eyes.

"Dream...dream...," I callas I skip alongside the riverbank, snow crunching underneath my feet. I jump to the side when a ball of fur barrels past me. "You can't even hear, how do you come when I say your name?" I ask. How she always managed to find me was a miracle since she was deaf.

I smile at the fluffy white mutt of a dog I owned. Dream was her name and she was a rescue from the streets. Since she was a mutt not many wanted her and that number decreased significantly when they found out she couldn't hear. I didn't mind though because she liked snuggling with me and was a good dog.

She was a goofball too. Loved to chase things around and got in trouble a lot which meant a few vet visits every once in a while. I was eight when I got Dream and the vet said she was around eight too. I always said I was older even though I didn't really know if I was. We were both around ten in this memory.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by Dream jumping up on me. I laugh as I caught her and set her back down after a moment. "Good girl," I say as I pet her back before she takes off again. I follow after her, looking around the snow filled forest. The only thing that could make it better was if there was red in the snow. It seems like the perfect combo.

My head snaps up when I hear the ice crack. It was too early for the ice to be melting so I look at the river. "Dream!" I say as my eyes widen. Damn I loved that dog and wanted to give her everything, but she was too big to be on the ice. Her weight made it easily crack and she rarely got to be on the ice even though she loved it.

Knowing she couldn't hear me calling her to come back, I laid down on the ice and started to scoot towards her. Looking back now it was an insanely dangerous and stupid idea but she meant the world to me.

I manage to make it to her, ignoring the ominous cracking off the ice. I went around her and started to push her back to shore, her reluctantly moving forward. Suddenly the ice gave way underneath me and I fell into the freezing water. I immediately started trying to pull myself back up and Dream was trying to help, biting at my clothes and pulling. My grip slipped and I went under the ice, the water enveloping me. I could hear Dream's frantic barking before I fully slipped under.

I managed to survive that day, obviously. Dream had managed to break the ice up in front of me and pull me out but I had forever been left with that feeling of fear of large bodies of water.

Dream passed away shortly after I turned 14 and I realized without her there was no one in Fional who truly cared about me which made me leave. I only left after burying her in our favorite spot in the yard and put rocks over it then I packed up my bags and left.

I was snapped out of my memory by something wet touching my leg. I look down, tears streaming down my face, and see the first dog that had howled at me when I ran away. It rests its head on my lap.

I hesitantly lift my hand up and touch it. I move my hands to its collar and check the tag it has. "Natasha," I mumble softly. "'M gonna calls you Tasha," I say. Her tail wags as she licks my hand.

"Allison what are you doing hiding behind these barrels?" My mother asks, making me look up to see her standing in front of me.

"Scared," I say making her crouch down.

"What are you scared of baby?" She asks softly as she reaches out and wipes the tears off my face.

"Sea," I say, making her tilt her head in thought before her eyes widen.

"You have a fear of the sea?" She asks, making me nod slightly. "Why didn't you tell anyone?" She questions.

"Cause I thoughts I could be big," I say, making her sigh. Natasha is eyeing her wearily as she stands up, standing in front of me.

"Sweetheart, even if you managed to stay big, you need to tell Annabelle or Maxon about it. They're your caregivers, your mommy and daddy, and even when you're big they care for you. So if something is scary to you then you need to let it be known," my mother says.

"Okay," I mumble softly.

"So do you want to come out from behind here and we can go see your mommy?" She asks me.

"Yeah," I say as I move to get up, Natasha guarding me. My mother push Natasha out of the way with her knee and picks me up. Natasha growls at her and snaps at her ankles.

"Swear to god if you bite me," my mother says as she walks away from Natasha. Natasha follows after her, nipping and snapping at her legs.

I hide my face against my mother's neck, seeking the dark and quiet place it offered so I didn't have to look at the sea. Her hand soothingly rubs my back in small circular motions that leave me in bliss.