i. a glimpse of the dark ages

she wasn't born herselfshe found herselfover a longand treacherous road

she found herself
over a long
and treacherous road

and the more treacherous
the road became
the more of herself
she found.

- a t t i c u s

Jamie is 13.

     JAMIE HATED THAT she was being sent to her aunt. She didn't care that her aunt lived in a very big mansion, nor did she care that she can do everything in the mansion. She wasn't that kind of child.

     She prefers being with her father, even if they're not that rich, they were happy in their own little perfect way. She cherished that fact.

     So when her father told her she were to go to her aunt's house, she immediately refuses and begs her father not to send her away, stomping her feet in the process. Mr. Van Halen chuckles, kneeling down to face his daughter at eye's length.

     "I'm deeply sorry, my dear Jeremiah, but you have to stay with your aunt while father goes to work in France." He says to her, cupping her tear stained cheeks. The child pouts, frustrated that her father has to leave her. "You can do a lot of things in her house you know. Play with your cousins."

     "But my cousins are such immature misogynists." A thirteen year old Jamie says, referring to her cousins of the male species. They were quite near her age but boy were they annoying every single time.

     "Now where did you learn that word?" Mr. Van Halen asks, an amused smile on his face as he looks at his daughter lovingly. He wasn't going to lie about missing her dearly while he was away, but he thought this would probably be the best decision for now.

     "Reading." Was all the child replied.

     "Reading what? If I may ask?" He asks, quite proud of his daughter for knowing such a big word.