Giggles

Please excuse this mess of a oneshot, I'm braindead.
------------------------

Tension filled the air, swarming around the two woman sitting opposite one another. A wooden desk separated the two, no word being spoken between them. The two, young boys sat beside their respective mothers, looking at each other with curiosity. It wasn't every day where your mother would drag you to a restaurant and awkwardly sit parallel to a boy your age that you didn't know.

Tord swung his legs as he stayed silent, his fingers covered lightly with powder from the chip bag he'd finished a while ago. He broke eye contact with the other boy, having grown used to his black eyes staring into his soul. Tord looked up at his mother, tugging on her shirt slightly, wanting attention. In return, all he got was his mother licking her thumb and wiping off some chip dust from his cheek.

"Tord, why are you such a messy eater?"

An innocent giggle was heard from the opposite end of the table, the boy in blue having his hands over his mouth and snickering behind them.

"Tom, don't laugh."

He was silenced within a second, though that didn't stop his smile from showing. The smile was soon returned by Tord, both boys silently giggling to each other before making silly faces without their mothers noticing.

Tord stuck his tongue out to the side, Tom pulled his ears out to look like a monkey. The two woman didn't notice, too deep into glaring at one another with spite, ignoring their children's stupid antics. That was, of course, until Tord let out a small laugh, immediately shutting himself up when he felt his mother's eyes glaring into his skull.

"Tord, we're in a restaurant. Behave."

The young boy looked up at the older woman, pouting at her.

"But I wanna go play!"

A moment of silence passed before the woman pinched the bridge of her nose, sighing tiredly before nodding. Tord perked up, cheering with a wide smile as he hopped off of the chair.

"Mommy, I wanna go play, too!"

Tom tugged on his mother's dress, gaining an annoyed grumble from her.

"Alright, alright. Just go."

Sliding his dark blue pants off of the chair, Tom giggled as he went to join Tord's side, the two boys running away from their mothers while laughing. They eventually stopped when they ran behind a wall, the bathrooms further down the hall. Thankfully, no one else was in the restaurant at the time, which may have been confusing to anyone who wasn't a young child. Of course, Tom and Tord were oblivious to that small detail. One they were far away from their moms, Tord held out his hand and spoke up.

"Hi! I'm Tord! What's your name?"

The boy in blue smiled brightly, shaking the others hand in a very posh manner, as the two imagined adults being around each other.

"I'm Tom!"

The other boy smiled as well, taking his hand back and holding them behind his back. He swayed his hips around as he spoke to the other, looking around as he did so.

"What do you wanna do, Tommy? Wanna play a game?"

Tom jumped up and down on the spot, clapping his hands while doing so.

"YES! I LOVE GAMES!"

"THOMAS, KEEP THE NOISE DOWN."

The boy stopped jumping and hung his head down when he heard his mother call out to him, no longer smiling. Tord looked around the wall to see the two women avoid eye contact with each other, still sitting in silence. It made him annoyed. Just because they're not having fun doesn't mean Tom can't.

"Everything oki?"

Tord bent his knees down to look Tom in the eyes, seeing a light frown painted on the younger boy's face. Wanting to cheer him up, Tord went up and licked his cheek, getting Tom to giggle and lift his head up, wiping the spit on his face away.

"Eww! Gross, Tordy!"

Laughing once again, Tord felt happy he could make his new friend smile. Tom forgot why he was sad a moment ago, only thinking about how awesome his new friend was.

"I still wanna play something! But.. not something that could get me in trouble with my mommy."

Tom looked up at Tord for answers on what to do, the older boy looking away with an annoyed face.

"Why is your mommy so mean to you? It's like she doesn't want you to have fun."

The younger looked at the ground, rubbing his arm before speaking up.

"Sh-e's not mean.. She just doesn't let me do stuff sometimes."

Tord furrowed his brows as he thought, folding his arms while kicking the floor.

"Well, we should do stuff she doesn't want you to do."

A light gasp, followed by an excited smile. Tom was never one to break rules, but he wasn't a fan of following them, either. So naturally, going against his parent's wants and having fun with another boy sounded much better than sitting quietly in the corner like his mother would've probably wanted.

"Mommy doesn't like it when I eat a lot of sugar."

Tord brightened up as he dug into his pocket, pulling out a couple of jelly beans and holding them out to his friend.

"I like the black ones, cuz they match your eyes."

Tom picked up a jelly bean, his face going slightly red at the other's comment, but he tried to brush off as nothing.

"I like the red ones, cuz they're the same colour as your clothes!"

As the two boys ate the small candy together, neither of them could stop smiling. Once they were finished eating, they thought it would be a good idea to mess around in the bathrooms, throwing toilet paper around and splashing water at each other.

That didn't keep up for long, as an employee found the boys messing the bathrooms up, pulling them out and bringing them to their parents.

"MY SON DID WHAT?!"

Both mothers began yelling at their children as soon as the employee brought them to the table, Tom and Tord holding hands while hanging their heads low with shame. Their mothers' words hurt, tears running down their cheeks as their hands were held tighter. As the mothers 'taught their kids a lesson', a deep voice erupted from behind them, causing both women to stop arguing and turn to see their husbands.

The cold, uncaring tone the man used was sharp, stopping the women from continuing their rants.

"Bethany, I thought you weren't going to give Thomas such a rough time. He's only six."

"Bu-"

The man raised his hand to stop his wife from speaking, shaking his head at her. The other man spoke, walking around the chair to stand beside his wife.

"It's been a tough day for us, ladies. We've worked out the legal issues, everything should be resolved within a few days. The last thing we need is for our children to be yelled at."

The small boys looked up at their fathers, gaining tired smiles from the men. Bethany stood up, sighing heavily as she walked around her husband.

"You'll understand when I explain what Tom did. Right now, I just want to go home."

Her husband agreeing with her, the two parents looked at the others, while their children wiped their tears and poked each other, like kids do.

"I hope we can put this matter behind us when everything is cleared up."

Tord's father spoke with kindness, the other man smiling in understanding and shaking his hand with a nod.

"Of course."

The women still weren't facing each other, a few short giggles filling the room from the two boys. Eventually, it just morphed into endless laughter from both children, rolling on the ground and tickling each other. They didn't notice when Tom's parents began walking away from the table, looking back at their son.

"Thomas, we're leaving. Come along." 

Both boys stopped playing, frowns playing on their lips. They stood up, hugging each other without wanting to let go, though had to when Tom's mother gripped his hand, pulling him towards the door.

"WAIT!"

Tom slipped her grasp, his mother watching him run towards the other boy, about to yell for him to come back, though her husband stopped her. Tord raised a brow at his friend, wondering why he ran back to him, despite his mother obviously not wanting that.

"Tommy? What-"

The younger gave a small peck on the cheek to his friend, pulling away with a bright red face. Tord stood frozen, a dopey smile making its way on his lips as Tom ran back to his mother and out the door.

As Tom waved through the window, Tord cupped his kissed cheek and waved back, both boys giggling to themselves before they were out of sight.