Chapter 5: The Past

Varian slowly opened the door to the empty house. His eyes darted around the house, holding onto a small hope to see his father before midnight. But like every other night, it was hopeless. His father had decided to work another overtime.

He sighed, heading to his room upstairs. Though he basically lived in the basement, his father had asked him to stay somewhere else besides the basement for at least two days each week. Though Varian wasn't exactly thrilled about that rule, he didn't want to upset him.

Laying his backpack on a nearby chair, he flopped on his bed. He didn't really know what to do since he could experiment in the basement that day. He didn't have friends to hangout with, and didn't really have any other hobbies.

So he ended up staring at the ceiling.

His mind, bored after just staring at the ceiling for half a hour, decided to go over today's strange events.

Why had he accepted that invitation?

Maybe it was the fact that he wanted to try something new or that he wanted to make Rapunzel happy.

Or maybe he just wanted to have a friend.

He sighed, his brain wandering to a happier place. Before the accident.

Varian always remembered being happy during those days. He would never feel alone, since he had many friends. Plus his mom.

His mom was a touchy topic for him and his dad. Even though few words had been spoken between them since the accident, they had a silent agreement to never bring it up again.

After the accident, no one trusted him anymore. And even after a few months and years passed, he still held the title of 'freak'.

Honestly Rapunzel was a nice breather from all of that.

But, as he learned, nothing good ever lasted. Her friend was like the rest of the school. Edgy, judgmental, and a downer.

Rapunzel's friend immediately recognized him, and pulled Rapunzel aside, probably to tell her how much of a freak he was. Or how dangerous he was.

Even before the accident, Varian was concerned about a dangerous person. Always blowing something up in the lab, or burning something. But after the accident, he was deemed an even more dangerous person.

People thought his mother traits passed on to him in some form, besides physical. Being a scientist, Varian knew that it was completely illogical for a person's personality traits to be passed on via genes, but never spoke out about it. He didn't really want to talk about it after all.

He didn't really want to talk at all, actually.

...

Cassnarda's father always said to reflect every single day, for it could help her notice her mistakes.

All it normally did was bore her to death.

Normally, her thoughts were normal. The usual thing of how the school was so depressing, what she learned, blah blah blah.

Today was a slight difference.

Instead of all of that, her mind wandered to Rapunzel, the one friendship that wasn't so temporary.

She had tried making friends in the past, but they all ran away after knowing who her father was. Well, technically he was her foster father, but still.

He was the head police chief.

Like she said, everyone at school tried to be as edgy as possible, many doing some petty crimes to do so. Shoplifting was the most common one.

And that thought brought her to Eugene Fliwhatever.

Eugene was basically the troublemaker of the whole school, infamous for the Great Black Board Prank.

So, Cassnarda hated him.

Her childhood home was basically the police station. She didn't have a mother, and her father couldn't deny a duty. So she was basically left in the police everyday after school. When she was younger, she recalled always thinking the station was her house. And even after she found out it wasn't, she still loved sitting there, watching the officers talk to each other about their newest crime, and sometimes talk to her a bit.

She grew off laws and rules, while Eugene grew off breaking them, making them enemies.

"So you were the one that pulled that prank off?" she asked, annoyed. She expected the student's of this school to have a little control, but as soon as she entered the building, she got pranked. "Yep, pretty easy if I do say so myself." the boy remarked, smiling.

Cassnarda was not impressed.

"Rules are there for a reason Mister-oh-so-mightly." she shot back, making the brown haired boy laugh. "Well, Miss-rules-are-important, there has to be someone here to break those said rules, you know?" he said, looking into her cold, gray eyes.

"You got a name?" she mumbled, examining him. He had a way too much chocolate brown gelled hair and was wearing a jacket he probably found in the dollar store.

"Flynn Rider is the name." He explained "And yours?" Cassandra looked at him with a straight face for two seconds. Before bursting into laughter.

"Flynn Rider? Yeah right." She laughed, ignoring his mumbles of annoyance. "Fine.... It's Eugene." He mumbled, extremely unhappy.

"Guess its constery to give you my name." She said, still laughing a bit that he actually said he was Flynn Rider. "The name is Cassandra."

"As in the captain's daughter?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. She nodded. "Guess I'll see you around..." he said, almost smiling to himself.

And she did see him around.

And everytime she noticed him, he was off doing something wrong. Either a prank, a crime, or something stupidly wrong.

Slowly and slowly, they became enemies. Most people were scared of Cassandra. Most people were chill with Eugene. But Eugene wasn't afraid of Cassandra and Cassandra wasn't 'chill' with Eugene.

And that's how the rivalry began. 

I FINALLY UPDATED! WHOOOOOOO-