Chapter 6: Why not?

"Do you think that we're a little harsh to her?" Eugene asked Lance, making Lance's face shift into confusion. "Nah, she's friends with Cassnarda, she has to take the pro's and con's of that." Lance said. "Actually... are there any pro's with being Ice Queen's friend?" Eugene let out a small laugh, which echoed around the cold air.

Water dripped from the rooftops of the city, one droplet landing on his head. They were hiding in an alleyway, alway from the lights of the city. Even though the streets at night were a nice sight, they didn't want to be caught by the police.

"Anyway, wanna play cards?" Lance asked, taking a pack of cards out of his pocket. "Where did you get that?" Eugene asked, grabbing the fresh deck of cards. "Some guy left his locket open at school." Lance explained, grabbing back his cards. "And I may have done some snooping around."

"Well these are in perfect shape!" Eugene said, pointing to the cards. "Good job buddy." Lance smiled, high-fiving Eugene. They were currently sneaking out of the orphanage that they lived in. The staff over there were pretty strict, not allowing the boys to leave the orphanage after 2pm, unless it was school related. Eugene and Lance were not fans of this rule. So they sneaked out every other day.

The orphanage was not a very pleasant place. Most of the stuff in there was ripped or torn. The beds were a fine example of this. Every mattress they had laid their heads on were ripped and lumpy. They also barely had anything to entertain themselves. Just some broken board games and wet cards.

"And.... all done!" Lance said, placing the last card in place. As Eugene picked up his hand, he couldn't help think back to Cassandra's new friend. She seemed too innocent to be friends with the all-mighty-ice-queen, but life surprised him. She had golden, long hair neatly tied into an intricate braid. She had emerald eyes that seemed to dazzle with curiosity. Her face was sprinkled with freckles, and she seemed like the person who would be the dancing sundrop of a group.

That didn't seem right in a school filled with edge lords.

"Earth to Eugene! It's your turn." Lance said, bring Eugene back into the sad reality that is real life. "Sorry.. I was just thinking..."

"About Rapunzel?" he bluntly said, looking at him with a disapproving look. "What? No!" Eugene lied, even though he knew he couldn't. They had been best friends since childhood. And Lance would always catch Eugene lying. "You're lying." Lance stated, not breaking his streak.

Eugene sighed. "I guess I kinda feel bad for her.." "That's what I thought." Lance sighed, shaking his head. "You always get that look in your eye when you think of her." "I do?!" Eugene whisper shouted, making Lance's face turn curious. "Do you like her?~" Lance teased in a sing-song voice.

"No way!" Eugene muttered, playfully smacking Lance in the face. "Yeah right." Lance said, rolling his eyes. "Just saying, you two would be a cute couple if she wasn't Ice Queen's bestie." "I don't think they're 'besties'." Eugene muttered, grabbing a card from the deck. "Oh, are you jelly?" Lance teased again, this time making Eugene's face turn red.

"No! I just think they aren't that close." Eugene explained, realizing how stupid that sounded. They were always together! How could they not be besties? "Yeah right." Lance laughed. "You do realize your face is still red?" Eugene was steaming red at this point. "I swear to god, Lance if you make one more joke, I will punch you!" Lance rolled his eyes again. "That's if you could even touch me." he joked, throwing some cards at Eugene's face.

...

Rapunzel was currently sitting at her desk, humming to the song that was flowing through her headphones. She looked down at the sheet of paper she was supposed to fill out by Monday. The assignment was to write a "rough draft". It was supposedly one half of their grade, so she was really trying to do her best. But there was a tiny problem that was stopping her.

She had never written one.

The blond checked her phone again, disappointed that Cass didn't answer. They had traded phone numbers earlier that week. Though Cass didn't seem that happy to, Rapunzel was thrilled. It was the only other number she had on her phone besides her parents. She had earlier asked what a rough draft was, but she didn't get an answer. Cass wasn't really that active on her phone. She hadn't texted a single word besides "Hello." 

She put her phone back down, and looked at the sheet of paper, like it could tell her what to do. But, of course, it didn't bring up any ideas.

Rapunzel checked her texts again, hoping Cass had answered her question. She still hadn't.

Rapunzel sighed, putting down the phone again. She would have to figure out what a "rough draft" was before monday. Well... To the google!

She turned on her phone, about to google what a rough draft when Cass finally answered.

Finally!

Sunshine uwu: Hey what's a rough draft?

8:56 pm

Cassnarda: You don't know what a rough draft is?

Sunshine uwu: Yeah :c

Cassnarda: It's just the first draft of an essay.

Sunshine uwu: How do you write an essay?

Cassnarda: Ugh. What's ur topic?

Sunshine uwu: Flowers uwu

Cassnarda: Yeah now write 5 paragraphs about that.

Sunshine uwu: 5 PARAGRAPHS?!

Cassnarda: Welcome to the real world.

Sunshine uwu: Thanks for the help! :D

Cassnarda: Ur welcome.

Sunshine uwu: Actually... one question. Why do you hate Varian so much?

Cassnarda: I don't hate him.

Sunshine uwu: But it seemed like you didn't like when he sat at our table

Cassnarda: I told you, he's a freak. No one talks to him and he doesn't talk to anyone.

Sunshine uwu: But he seemed nice to me when I talked to him...

Cassnarda: Trust me, you don't want to be friends with him.

Sunshine uwu: But why not?

Cassnarda: Just don't.

You'll regret it.

...

The killer sat at the top of the roof tops of the city, looking at his list. It was a long list, that was for sure. But the only name he really wanted to kill was at the bottom.

Rapunzel Quetson

She took everything alway from him. He couldn't even have a childhood because of her! Why her? Why does she have everything? Why could she be allowed to take everything from him? Why? Why? WHY?

He longed to end her life, finally take back everything. But, just like a book, he couldn't just write a single scene. No, he would have to build up to that one scene. He looked back at his list, looking at the top.

He had already scratched off one name, so he moved on to the next.

Willain Scoye

I'm coming for you.