Chapter SIX

"I hope we get to the movie theater early," said Stephano, "I don't want to miss any of the previews, or even the commercials."

After finishing dinner, Uncle Monty, the Baudelaire's, and Stephano were getting into the jeep, and were headed to the movies.

"I just need to make a brief phone call before we go," said Monty.

"Go ahead, I'll stay in the car with the children," Stephano said, and watched Monty quickly head back into the house.

"Whatever you are up to, Stephano, we'll stop you and you'll go to jail for a very long time," Violet said.

"We'll see about that," said Stephano. "But be aware that accidents happen all the time."

There was that strange sentence Stephano had pronounced again. The Baudelaire.s were uneasy once they heard Stephano say this, but they didn't know exactly what this wicked man was saying.

At that moment, Uncle Monty exited the house.

"Are you all ready?" he asked.

The children nodded, and Stephano gave a thumbs-up signal.

"Oh, and I forgot to ask, what is your favorite reptile, Stephano?" asked Monty.

"The frog," he replied.

"Frogs are actually amphibians," said Klaus.

Stephano scowled and glared at him. "That was just a test," he said.

When the children and two adults finally arrived in the city Tedia, and the jeep was parked in front the theater, the party of five waited in line until they reached the ticket man.

"Five tickets for Zombies in the Snow," said Monty.

"Two adults, three minors, I'll give you the Verified Film Discount," said the ticket salesperson.

When the others entered the building, Stephano offered to buy the popcorn. When they entered the theater and sat down, Stephano hogged the big bucket of popcorn for himself, while the there children had to share the much smaller one. But of course, that wasn't the children's main concern.

The movie itself was terribly made. The children could see that a lot of the props were fake, including the animals. Also, many of the actors of the film fumbled saying their given lines, the children could tell this by all the pausing, and the quiet whispering to the other actors. But the real mystery about this movie, as well as the recent movies the children had seen, there were subtitles added to the movie. Also, the children recognized two of the people acting in the film. Mr. Poe's secretary, as well as the bearded person named Gustav.

Monty leaned in close to the three children. "This is the latest film Gustav made before his mysterious disappearance," he said. Then, Uncle Monty reached into his pocket, and pulled out a spyglass. From the light of the flickering screen, the three children could see an eye on it. It looked like the exact same one the Baudelaires found in their destroyed home.

The Baudelaire.s had noticed this before. When watching the movies, Ghosts in the Desert and Goblins in the Garden, the Baudelaire saw Uncle Monty do the exact same thing. The Baudelaire's also happened to have noticed that Monty seemed to sold for the movies made by Gustav.

Stephano didn't seem to like the ending of the movie. "That was a terrible ending," he said, "the zombies should had eaten the villagers alive."

When the party of five exited the theater, Monty told the Baudelaire's to wait in the car while he chatted with Stephano. Once the three children entered Monty's car they peered through the window to see what Monty was doing. The herpetologist was scowling as he spoke to Stephano. Stephano began shouting stuff that the Baudelaire's couldn't hear but they could see Uncle Monty was shaking his head. They watched as he pulled out of his pocket what was to be a ticket, and watched Monty rip it in two pieces before putting them in his pocket. Monty pointed past Stephano, and with his hands on his hips, the herpetologist watched as Stephano walked off and away into the darkness.

The children couldn't believe it, Uncle Monty just had recognized Stephano's disguise and he was forcing him to leave. Well, they were correct about most of it.

I'm so sorry, Baudelaire's," said Monty, "I shouldn't had hired Stephano in the first place. But right now, I just ripped his ticket for Peru and forcing him to leave. I find him a terrible actor. Oh and by the way, there is a change of plans. We will be leaving for Peru, tomorrow!"

"What!" Violet asked.

"I'm as shocked as you are," said Monty. "When we arrive home, we must pack for the trip immediately."

And when the Baudelaire's arrived home with the herpetologist, they packed their clothes, gear, and papers. Finally, when they finished, Uncle Monty discussed plans with the children for their trip to Peru, over four mugs of hot chocolate.

"We must arrive at Daedalus Dock 12 o'clock sharp," said Monty. "Otherwise, we'll be forced to swim. I see you've finished your marshmallows, Sunny."

"Yeah!" Sunny shrieked, which meant "they were tasty."

"Our sister said—"Violet began.

"I know what your sister said," the herpetologist smiled. "Looks like we found what her favorite soft food is."

"By the way, Monty," Klaus said. "My sisters and I were wondering about something on the ride home from the theater. Do you know what this is?" He held up the broken piece of a spyglass.

"Yes," said Monty. "In fact, I have something just like that." He grabbed out an undamaged spyglass.

"Can you tell us more about it," Violet asked.

"Okay," said Monty, though I'm sorry to say he wouldn't get the chance to. And at that moment the screeching iguana clock struck 10 o'clock. And reader, this would be the very last time the clock would strike before the extremely unfortunate event of this book occurred.

"It's getting late," he said. "What's that thing Benjamin Franklin said?"

"Early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise?" Klaus said.

"Correct," said Uncle Monty.

He walked the children up the their rooms and hugged them goodnight each.

"And tomorrow, Peru," he said.

Once Uncle Monty finished, he headed down the stairs, and back into the Reptile Room. Now reader, remember on Chapter Three when he said to the Baudelaire's, "No harm will come to you in the Reptile Room." He was in fact correct to the Baudelaire's. But he didn't know what was coming to him. For that night when he entered the room, great harm came to him.

 For that night when he entered the room, great harm came to him