Chapter SEVEN

"Hello? Uncle Monty!" Violet and her siblings who climbed down the stairs entered the Reptile Room. But they didn't see the table set with steaming plates of breakfast. They didn't see Monty either. The room was quiet.

Cold.

Almost seemed empty.

The Baudelaires saw a figure slouched in a chair. But it wasn't Monty. It was once Monty. Instead, there was his body.

Cold.

Pale.

Absolutely empty.

To make things even creepier. The body's eyes were halfway open. And on one side of the body's cheek, there were two tiny holes, such as the ones for a snake to bite into. And surrounding that, his veins were blackened.

The Baudelaire's gasped at this bone-chilling sight, and were silent for a moment.

"Who would do this?" Violet asked.

"I was wondering the exact same thing," Stephano entered the room, he had a look of brummagem—I word here which means 'fake'—surprise on his face. "What a terrible accident has happened here. Snakebite. Whoever discovers this will be most upset."

"How could you!' said Klaus. "How could you kill him, he did nothing wrong to you!"

"Why, Klaus, I'm surprised,"Stephano said, and walked over to the body. "An intelligent book-worm like you should figure out that this uncle of yours died from a snakebite. Not a murder. Look at his pale face, and those staring eyes—"

"Don't talk like that!" Violet said.

"Okay, said Stephano in the voice Count Olaf used. "Let's go to Peru. I want to arrive early so I can buy a bottle of fruity Merlot—"

"We wouldn't go to the end of the driveway with you!" Violet said.

"Then I'll go by myself," said Stephano. He walked to on of the blue walls where his suitcases were, and picked them up. He shook one of them to show that Sunny, who I'm sorry to say, was in it.

"Sunny!" Violet and Klaus cried, and ran after Stephano, who began loading his suitcases.

"Let her out," Klaus said, "This isn't how an infant is to be treated!"

Stephano pulled out his deviously-looking knife, "Your sister won't be harmed like Monty, as long as you two get into this very jeep on the count of five!"

Once the children entered Monty's vehicle, Stephano started the motor.

"You can't just drive away from his house containing all those reptiles, without calling the police," Violet said.

"Oh indeed I can," said the evil man. He slowly began driving the car out of the property. "But once the authorities find out, I'll be long gone with the three of you in my clutches."

"Will you let Sunny out of you suitcase once we arrive at the dock?" Klaus asked.

Stephano turned around to look at the middle Baudelaire. "I'm not so sure, about that, it is better if I treat her like a large salami—"

"Count Olaf, look out!" Violet exclaimed.

Stephano turned back to the window, and saw another car had entered the driveway, and was driving straight towards the jeep. "Ah!" he cried as the two vehicles collided together. The word collide here which means 'two of something making contact.' But after the car accident, the Baudelaires realized they collided with some very fortunate luck.

' But after the car accident, the Baudelaires realized they collided with some very fortunate luck

"Blasted furnaces of hell!" Stephano shouted and got out of the jeep.

The Baudelaire's luckily weren't harmed from the car accident, and they got out of the jeep too. The first thing they did was open the trunk and got Sunny out. They could see the bright orange jeep's front had pleated itself like some accordion, as well as the blue, tiny car.

The Baudelaire's recognized this car, and knew who was the driver.

"Mr. Poe!" Violet cried.

"It's Mr. Poe," said Klaus.

"You're that banker the children were telling me about," Stephano said. "What could you be doing in the country, when your bank is located in the city?"

"Oh, I'm just here to deliver the children's passports. But who are you?" Mr. Poe asked Stephano.

"My name is Dr. Stephano," said the man." I am Dr. Montgomery Montgomery's assistant, well, I was."

"What do you mean?" asked Mr. Poe. "Did he perhaps fire you?"

"Even worse," said Stephano, dramatically, "he is dead."

"What!" said Mr. Poe.

"I don't know, after all, I don't know anything about snakes—" he replied.

"He's taking us to Peru!" Klaus shouted.

"Klaus!" Mr. Poe said, "please don't interrupt, and I don't know what you mean?"

"The children are really upset of Dr. Montgomery's death," said Stephano. "He was planning to take them to Peru today, and they are insisting I take them, though they are following me to get a doctor."

"This man is Count Olaf!" Violet said, gesturing towards Stephano. "He's in disguise and trying to take us away."

"That can't be right," said Mr. Poe. "Count Olaf has a clean-shaven face. But Stephano has no eyebrows or hair. Just a long beard."

"He grew the beard, and shaved his head," Klaus said," And put on some spectacles though he doesn't need them. Anyone can see that."

"Please forgive the children," said the banker," Count Olaf is a wicked villain, whom the children are quite frightened of."

"Do I look like this Count Olaf person?" Stephano quizzed.

"Don't forget about the tattoo," Klaus said, "Count Olaf has a tattoo on his ankle."

"I'm sorry ask you this, Stephano," said Mr. Poe, "but the set the children's minds at ease, would you mind showing me you ankle?"

Stephano smiled. "I'll be happy to. Left or right?"

"Left," said Mr. Poe.

Smiling, the villain put his left ankle on the bumper of the car, and rose the pant leg, revealing the sock. Then, he slid down the sock, but only to reveal a blank patch of skin, no tattoo of an eye. The patch of smooth skin was as blank as poor Uncle Monty's face.

"I don't know how he got rid of that tattoo," Klaus said, "but doesn't mean he isn't Count Olaf."

"Klaus," Mr. Poe sighed. "This isn't Count Olaf. I just saw Stephano's unblemished ankle. Unblemished means—"

"We know what unblemished means," Violet said.

"I suggest you check to see if your car still works, Mr. Toe," said Stephano. "Mine works quite finely."

"Poe," said Mr. Poe, and he walked up to his car. "Oh dear, I'm afraid the engine, it's quite dead."

"And before long," Stephano hissed in the children's ears, "you will be too."

"While you wait here," Stephano spoke to Mr. Poe, "I'll go with the children to the doctor."

"Mr. Poe, we can't go with this man," Violet said, "we'd rather stay with you."

"Come on, children," said Stephano, "I'll go buy you each, a sundae."

"This is no occasion for a sundae," Klaus said.

"Or," said Mr. Poe, "we could call the doctor from here."

"Oh, good idea!" Stephano said playing foolish. "Why haven't I thought of that."

"Mr. Poe," Klaus was worried, "please don't put us in this man's care."

"I won't, children," said Mr. Poe, "well not without some important paperwork."

The children sighed. They were surprised Mr. Poe hadn't believed them, as well as you.