Chapter Thirteen

"For the first time ever, I'm happy to see that awful tattoo," said Klaus.

"That's the eye, all right," Mr. Poe said. "You are most defiantly Count Olaf, and you are most defiantly under arrest."

"Bravo, children," Count Olaf said. "You found who I am, so I admit I killed Dr. Montgmery."

"You also killed Gustav," Smoke was angry.

"Yes, I admit I killed his assistant," said Count Olaf. "One night, I found him picking wildflowers, when he got a call. He was talking about you three kids headed to Dr. Montgomery's. I decided to drown the fool in the Swarthy Swamp."

"That must have been how you found us," Klaus said.

"Exactly," said the man.

"Please forgive me for not believing you, Baudelaires. It just seemed so far-fetched Olaf was in disguise as a lab assistant," said Mr. Poe. "I'll drive the jeep with Inspector Haircut, while you three can go in the doctor's car, just like you wanted to."

"We actually don't want to," Violet said. "We just wanted to be away from Count Olaf. Besides, the body—that was once Monty—is in the car."

"You shouldn't tell lies, orphans," Count Olaf sneered.

"Enough talk from you," said Mr. Poe. "I'll walk you to the car."

"Actually, we'll take him from here," said Nurse Lucafont. And Mr. Poe handed Count Olaf to her.

"Say good-bye to the orphans," said Inspector Haircut.

"Good-bye," sneered Count Olaf.

"Good-bye," Violet said.

"Good-bye," Klaus said.

"Good-bye," Smoke said.

Mr. Poe only coughed, while Mr. Poe's secretary gave a sort of disgusted half-wave at the man. Sunny was the only one who was quiet. And she was looking straight at Inspector Haircut. A minute later, she jumped at the man, and bit his hand.

Violet was shocked, "Sunny!" Then, she saw the hand snap into pieces of plastic, and watched them hit the floor. Then, she looked up at where the hand had once been, but instead saw a shiny metal hook. The inspector grinned wickedly, as well as Count Olaf, and so did the nurse.

"It's the hook-handed man!" Klaus exclaimed.

Smiling, the henchman held out his other fake hand for Nurse Lucafont to take off

Smiling, the henchman held out his other fake hand for Nurse Lucafont to take off. Then, Nurse Lucafont took off the glasses, outfit, and hair—or more like a wig—revealing Count Olaf's other comrade. The enormous one who looked neither a man nor woman, but could use the voices of both. The two associates released their grip from Olaf.

"You didn't think I'd come here alone," Olaf smiled. "Take the children."

Luckily, Smoke and the secretary defended the children. "You're not going to lay another finger on these children," Smoke said.