5

Olivia waited outside of Quintin's school for him to be released for the day. She had left the hospital shortly after finding out her husband had finally opened his eyes again. She only left because she didn't want to start fighting with him and cause him to get worked up or to injure himself. She kept rocking back and forth on her heels as she tried to focus on anything but her husband in those long moments she waited.

At a quarter to three, the bell rang and just moments later kids came running from the front doors. Olivia could easily see when her son ran out with the fellow kindergarteners. He was taller than them all, and he was really starting to look like his Daddy as every day went by.

"Mama!" Quintin exclaimed as he ran to his mother. She hadn't picked him up from school in a while, so today must have been a special day.

"Hey, Quinny! How was school?" Olivia questioned, as she lifted her son up and hugged him warmly.

"It was good. But why are you here?" Quintin asked softly.

"Because Daddy is awake and he wants to see you." Olivia smiled.

"Really?! Let's get going!" Quintin cried. Olivia sat him back on his feet before squatting down in front of him.

"Honey, we still need to be calm around Daddy. He is still healing, but hopefully, he'll be good enough to come home within the next few days. Okay? So let's go up to the hospital and he can help you with your homework." Olivia spoke.

"That's not nice." Quintin huffed, as he grabbed his mother's hand before allowing himself to be led to the car.

"What isn't nice, Mister?" Olivia asked, confused by her son's words.

"Making Daddy help me with my homework! We all know you are better at it than him." Quintin giggled. Olivia smiled as she ruffled his hair.

"We need to make him feel good about himself, Quinny. He's been asleep for a while."

"He probably doesn't even remember how to spell my name." Quintin giggled.

"Doesn't it start with a W?" Olivia teased as her son continued to giggle.

///

Quintin walked into his father's room after washing his hands and he was having a hard time not sprinting to jump onto his father's bed. He was slow and gentle when he reached out to touch his father's hand to wake him as nicely as possible.

"Daddy." Quintin hummed, as he leaned close. Trevor yawned a bit before slowly opening his eyes and looking to his son. He smiled tiredly before reaching out and running his fingers through his little boy's hair.

"Hey, Quinny. It's so nice to see you again, buddy." Trevor smiled.

"I've missed you so much, Daddy... but I tried to stay strong for Mama."

"I bet you did an amazing job." Trevor grinned.

"He had his bad days, but so did I. He's my little trooper," Olivia spoke, as she appeared in the doorway. Trevor looked at her for a moment before looking down at Quintin again.

"Dr. Young told me that I can go home in the morning. Will you be picking me up tomorrow?" Trevor asked, and Quintin nodded quickly.

"I'll drive here to come to get you." Quintin smiled.

"Oh yeah, he also got his license." Olivia chuckled. Trevor didn't look at his wife, and Olivia frowned when she noticed. She walked over and leaned down to kiss Quintin's hair before stepping back.

"I'm gonna wait out in the hall. Quinny, come get me when you are ready to head home." Olivia sighed, before slipping from the room.

"Mama doesn't sound happy." Quintin frowned, and Trevor nodded slowly.

"She's probably just tired," Trevor replied, even though he knew he had kind of got nasty with her earlier.

"She'll sleep better once you are home." Quintin smiled, before pushing himself onto the bed and snuggling into his father's side.

///

The next morning, Tally drove Quintin to the hospital to get Trevor. Olivia had gotten called into work, so she couldn't be there to bring her husband home.

"Where's Liv?" Trevor asked as he pulled a shirt on. He had been standing there for a while without his shirt on, and his mother and son had seen the scars for the first time. They were bright red and still looked painful.

"She got called into work. She's been taking on more hours lately since she's going to be getting Seargent."

"Mama is doing a lot of good, Daddy!" Quintin smiled with wide eyes.

"She always is," Trevor spoke. Tally looked at her son for a moment before looking down at Quintin.

"Baby, why don't you go give your cards to the nurses and Dr. Young. I'm going to get your Daddy ready to leave." Tally spoke, and Quintin nodded.

"Okay, Nana," Quintin spoke, before quickly leaving the room. Tally looked at her son before sighing.

"What did you do?" She questioned.

"Huh?" Trevor asked.

"What did you do to that lovely wife of yours?" Tally sighed.

"Uh... I may have gotten a little loud and maybe a little nasty with her the day after I woke up. I got all loud and said that I wanted to get out of this damn hospital. It was also after she said we didn't have to try for another baby for a while and that kinda pissed me off. So I yelled and made it seem like I was angry at her when I wasn't. I was angry at everything."

"You still have a lot of healing to do, and you can't take all of your anger out on Olivia. She isn't your verbal punching bag. She has stuck by you since the day you started to feel sick. Since that first cough, and now you need to stand by her. She's going through a lot that she will never bring up."

"I wanted to be better than this. I never wanted to be such an absent husband and father, but it happened... and I'm still so angry about it."

"Then be better, Trev. Be better and be the right role model for Quinny."