2

Niall's P.O.V.

"Do you like hiking?"

"I love it!", Nikki lit up, "Especially new places."

"Good. Go get your shoes."

♡♡♡♡

"Nikki! Come on!", I called from a few yards above her. She stopped on a rock, breathing hard,

"Hold on!", she choked out. I sighed, leaning against a tree. After awhile, she caught back up to me.

"I thought you said you could keep up.", I laughed.

"I thought I could.", she did too, "I haven't hiked in like two years and I think doing a huge one to start is freaking out my asthma."

"Asthma?", I stopped walking, "You have asthma?"

"Yeah. I have since I was eight. But it hasn't really been a big problem."

"Oh." I paused, continuing to hike up the mountain, "I guess I should figure out your medical shit, huh?" She shrugged,

"Asthma, no tonsils or appendix, ADHD and a little bit of anxiety."

"Are you on meds?" She laughed,

"Are you kidding? Can you imagine what the townsfolk would say if they knew I was on meds because I'm fucked up in the head? Mom would never allow it."

"Watch your mouth." I paused, "But you're right. I'll set up a doctors appointment next week to get you checked out. If you're okay with it or need it and it's safe, we'll get you on meds ASAP. For now, take it slow with the asthma shit. Got me?" She nodded,

"Okay." She stopped walking again, looking up to the peak about twenty yards above us, "That's it?"

"That's it." She glanced at me, smiling,

"I'm gonna beat you."

"Yeah, no you're-" She took off sprinting as I sighed, following. I didn't try too hard, but I still got to the top first, "Beat you!", I said spinning around, only for my heart to drop, "Nikki? Nikki!"

"Here!", I heard from by a tree. I went down the path a few feet, finding her on the ground breathing heavily and wheezing a little.

"Dammit Nikki. I just said to take it easy kid!"

"I'm sorry.", she wheezed, "I wanted to win."

"I'm aware. I shouldn't have enabled you." I handed her a water, "Drink." She did so as her breathing slowed and the wheezing stopped. Eventually, she got up and followed me to the peak. We sat around for awhile, just enjoying it, before deciding to head back down the mountain. "We're taking our time going down."

"Okay. Good. But I'm starving." I tossed her a granola bar,

"We'll eat for real right when we leave."

"Okay bubba."

♡♡♡♡

By the time we got home, it was almost eight and getting dark. The house felt... strange... when we walked in and Nikki noticed it too. She immediately tensed up and got extra quiet.

"Dad? We're home.", I called walking into the kitchen. He leaned on the counter, staring us both down,

"Niall you said you'd be home by dinner. Being late isn't an issue but I at least deserve a text. Do you understand?" I nodded,

"Yes sir. I'm sorry. We got distracted and I didn't think about it."

"Good. It's alright." He dropped the 'bad cop' facade and hugged us both, "How was the hike?"