Interlude I: The Royals

After the conversation with the long lost hero, Narz and Arabella went to their room to discuss that exactly to do with Nox.

"I can't believe it. Not only has he returned without notice, he brought his cursed child with him!" Narz was understandably upset. He just accepted to something that could dethrone him as a king of the faith should it ever come to light in the public.

"Narz, this is Adoani we are talking about. I'm sure the boy will be like him, and he will fine with keeping him unknown to the rest of the school."

"Humph, easy for you to say, your so oblivious to what we just agreed to! We could be hunted down at any moment if the boy's revealed!"

"Then you'll have to protect him, won't you?"

"I won't fall for that Arabella. You know that if it comes to that, I'll kill him myself, and Adonai too if he chooses to protect that stupid pile of meat he calls his son."

"How unbecoming of a role model for the rest of the faith. But then again, you're only here because of your talents." Arabella hissed. She wasn't hiding the fact that it annoyed her that someone became king not because of faith, but purely on power.

It's true. Narz was a man that only thought of himself. He grew up being superior to others, and nobody ever smacked some sense humility into him, rather he was encouraged to rule over, and get stronger. Soon, he became the strongest in the capital, and because of that, he claimed the crown to himself. Not like there anyone who could challenge him. His vast amount of magic would pulverize any type of fighter. It was quite sad because he had no faith. Not in anyone, and certainly not in some metaphysical being that he never saw before. After what seemed to be a ruling of tyranny, it seemed that a peoples champion of sorts came into frame: Arabella

Arabella was known as one of the kindest souls in the capital. Although her religion came first, her people were a close second. She never cared about fame and money, she only cared about using the authority of the queen to not only help everyday people, but to also put some sort of leash on Narz, as he was locked away in the castle which towered over the rest of the building, researching, and any other number of things he could do. Arabella hated it. And she often doesn't hate, she prefers to forgive, and moves on. It was a sound response, but would often lead to some sort of trouble. But she would be quick to solve that mistake. The people supported her, she was already high up in the church, and was stronger than a lot of the other competitors because of her innate talent. From a distance, it looked like she could pick up anything and master it much faster than others. Most would fear the power, but the fear vanished when they heard who has it.

They have ruled for a hefty amount of time, and Arabella has done what she swore to do. Narz was controllable when needed, while the livelihood of the public has thoroughly improved.

"Narz, you know its disrespectful to so that to someone who saved your life."

"Bella, I have told yo-"

"I don't think I allowed you to call me that Narz. I am nice to all. I choose to be less than nice to you, because you deserve it. Nothing more. Only those close to me call me that, and a beast like you shouldn't try to reason with me"

"We've been through a lot, I'm sure we are close. Not that I care. We have more pressing matters. The boy"

"You might be thinking too much into this"

"Wha- WHAT? How can you of all people say that? You're the one known to be faithful here! HE USES CLAWS WILLINGLY! You realise I am for once In my life, actually looking out for you!"

"Your not. This involves your authority, so of course you would want to deal with it. Don't try to make it my problem and mine alone." Arabella was quick to correct the statement, taking some offence to the remark of Narz suddenly being faithful.

"Well, looks like, after all these years, I still can't fool you" He seemed to treat it as some sort of challenge. He may be arrogant, but he can recognise people who he truly believes to be worthy of his honest recognition or even praise, and Arabella was regrettably for Narz one of those few people.

"Look at you, changing your tone so suddenly. I can't believe you are in this level of authority. You most certainly don't deserve it." Arabella said it quite passionately, it made sense, seeing as how she saw this tyrant bring her beloved faith's reputation down to the ground because of his mere presence. This turmoil lasted since the first day of Arabella's coronation, and because of this event they came across, it won't end any time soon. If it ever died down, then it's just been renewed.

Frustrated, Narz left to be on his own. He was trying his best to try and calm himself because of the fear of the boy being discovered, thus leading to him to being possibly executed. He may be strong, but with Arabella with the people, it would be impossible to win with brute force. He had to go along with this annoying situation. Another thing that concerned Narz was Adoani himself. He was afraid of the moment he would reveal himself to the public. If people knew that he was in the capital, his chances of maintaining the throne as king would be minuscule, because Adonai was another 'champion of the people'. People would think along the lines of 'Why isn't he king?' 'He's so much better' and many other thoughts that Narz hates to admit that they were right. He couldn't even use his son as a threat, because at that point, they wouldn't believe him. He had to do something about him, and quick. Or his position as king is as good as gone.

He spent days on end thinking about it in secret. He even lost sleep about it. He just couldn't think of anything. Anything he did would leave traces that would lead to him. He was in a metaphorical corner, and the escape routes were shrinking by the second. Until he thought of something horrible. An assassination. A quick in-out job, and the problem would be sorted. Narz wasn't one for underhanded tactics. Mainly because he was so proud of his power, that he could face anyone head-on when fighting. But for Narz, desperate times called for drastic measures, mainly abandoning his small moral code. But the question is, how does he hide his involvement? He pondered about it. Until another idea came to be, and was eager to get the show on the road. Recently, he heard about a duel happening between students. Narz was looking forward to it, as it has been a while since he last saw one. Knowing that child, he would spectate it out of curiosity, like any child would. He just hopes that he behaves himself, and do nothing stupid. He would make the deed done then. He would be in the presence of Arabella, and with his idea, he would be scot-free. He laughed at his genius, and starts to write some letters to some very close acquaintances, about a challenging job, with a hefty reward. This might be the only option. Narz was now committed to this, although he regretted this action because what little nobility he had at the time, but ignored that feeling, as he just threw it away for his prosperity

"Adonai, you should have never come back. Everything was fine until you soiled my turf! You will regret this, and your child will follow VERY soon after. That I can guarantee. Spend some of your final fleeting moments with your son. After all, there's no time like the present." Narz started to lose his composure and laughed like the crazy and delusional person he was, as he could envision the despair, and him sitting on the throne, without a doubt in his mind.

Meanwhile, Arabella was in another room, thinking of how to help Nox concealing his identity. She was one of many who look up to Adonai for his achievements. She was overjoyed to see him again, and more excited to see what his spouse can offer. She remembers the event with Adonai's wife, and how disappointing it was to know a devil worshipper right under her nose. She was relieved to see that she did not influence the man. That would truly be painful to see Adonai turn into a life of sin. She understood Adonais wishes of spending alone time with his son. He must have felt betrayed, and wanted to stay away from human contact. But things seem to be fine with him. A rumour was going through the grapevines that a duel was happening in a few days. Although she didn't like conflict. It didn't hurt to see some friendly conflict. A knock was heard from her door, and she told the person to come in.

"Ah, Mythril, dear. It's good to see that you are well. Is there anything you would like to talk about with me?"

"Yes, there is. It's about..."