Chapter 5: The Duel

The day came, where Nox would have to battle Ralf. It was clear to see that there was a massive change in the atmosphere in the school. The classrooms were a lot louder, children harder to control for teachers, and it was just louder in general. He was told that he would have to go to the field at a certain time because of preparations and other reasons. Nox decided to go straight to it and inspect the preparations. He was about to reveal himself, so he wasn't scared of showing himself. In fact he revelled in the attention he got from people talking to him. He came up with a transfer student type of back story. They seemed to latch on to it just fine.

As he approached the field, Mythril came to view, leaning on one of the walls. "Well, looks like it's your big day Nox"

"So it is. Well, I hear there's some betting"

"You know it. All in on you."

"Glad to see you have such faith in me"

"Not faith. I know you. You got this." Nox smiles at her and proceeded to the field. What he saw was surprising. The walls were no longer square, but rather circular. Must be some type of earth manipulation magic. Mythril stood next to you and whispered something.

"We need to talk after this. I was told to tell you about this voice? I've been hearing it every now and then, and it." Nox stiffened. Mythril has been hearing the devils voice as well? Things just got slightly complicated, to say the least.

"Oh. I agree. After this, we are going to have a long conversation." Mythril looked at Nox, and was surprised to see the serious face on Nox's face, mainly because she never saw it.

It was the middle of the day, and Nox was getting to the circular wall after a rest and warm-up. He entered the building reminiscent to the coliseum. The towering rows surrounding the flatlands that Nox entered in. The crowd did some 'oohs' some shouted incoherently, and many other things. Looking around, he saw a box of sorts on the rows, and saw Arabella and Narz. Both looking surprisingly exited. Mainly Narz. Not that that mattered. Nox looked in front of him, and saw Ralf, the butt of the spear at hand, as the sharp head of the spear looming over his head, walking like he owned the place. Eye contact follows, and both ready their weapons. Silence follows, until a loud gong coming from the box. The crowd cheers, and Ralf takes the initiative.

It was a solid thrust of the spear that was aiming at the middle at Nox's chest, showing the killing intent of his opponent. But after so much training, he dodged out of it due to muscle memory, and returned with powerful upwards strike. It was a solid attempt, but it missed the target completely. Ralf decides to charge up his outward spear, his waist turning a quick 90 degrees, with the spear overarching his head. Like cutting off the rope of a hanged anvil, the spear exploded in speed to hit Nox's side, to which is connected, but luckily only the handle part of the spear, and not the blade. Nox flew a bit, and landed roughly on the floor, as the crowd erupted with cheers egging on Ralf.

"Well, looks like you're rude AND weak! Do both of us a favour, and concede, will you? I have places to be" Ralf at this point was dawdling in the arena, showing off a bit of spear work you would see from a performer. Nox could hear the chanting and cheering from the crowd, but only for a split second, as he launches up on his feet, and rushes on the offensive. Luckily, it seems that Ralf was still distracted, at least until the crowd showed different reactions, and he snapped around to see his opponent, rushing with no defence, and full offence. Ralf tried to compose himself, but it was too late. Nox decided to strip the armour he was wearing, thrusting at joints of the armour with pinpoint accuracy, as, after every thrust, the armour became looser and looser. And before Ralf knew it, he only had his undergarments on and the clang of metal hitting the floor causing a deadly silence everywhere. People we in shock, some were still processing what just happened and some were simply impressed.