9

EUNJUNG

"Sorry?!"

I winced at his voice. I was so tired and I've been wanting to rest soundly on my bed but things started to get fucked up.

"I told you to watch over her!" Kyungsoo said, his loud voice piercing through the quiet hallway of the emergency room.

From my peripheral, I could see some pairs of eyes looking at us, all with questioning looks. I stayed quiet, my palms gently resting on my shivering lap. My skin felt so cold against the chair and the bright light from the fluorescent was painful to my eyes.

I'm tired. I wanted to tell Kyungsoo to just take me home or at least get me a cab because I could feel my body slowly giving up. I can't be tired because I have a very weak body. I also didn't eat anything since lunch and my stomach kinda ached because of that. Nonetheless, I kept the pain to myself.

"Why can't you understand even simple instructions?! Is it that hard, huh?" He continued, his veiny hands on each side of his hips. "Are you stupid?!"

I bit my lip, my insides convulsed st the frustration and pain I was feeling. I was mad. Mad at him, I guess? I wanted to ask him why he was blaming me. It's not like Heeyoung is my responsibility. I was granting him a favor.

But more importantly, I'm mad at myself. I'm mad that I can't even speak when people belittle me like this. I'm angered by the fact that everytime someone raises his or her voice at me, my insides would convulse and my eyes would start to get warm. I hate that I can't even defend myself when I know I did nothing wrong.

It's like I have the inability to defend myself. I'm always like this. Always so weak. I was like this when I lost my mother and my relatives started to pick on me, saying that I was fake and illegitimate. I was like this when my grandpa threw me out of my home. I was like this when my father disowned me. I was like this when my father chose to remarry. I was and still like this. I'll forever be like this.

A young girl who's afraid of defending herself. A girl who'd gladly take the blame for everyone's sake.

And now, I'm that girl again. I'll take the blame and keep it with me just so people around me would feel at peace. I want them to be at peace, even if my own heart would be in chaos.

"I'm s-sorry, I'd m-make sure t-to watch her b-better next time." I croaked, my voice low and raspy.

For the first time since he arrived, I had the guts to meet his eyes. They were red and restless, his hair disheveled and his face gave a hint of exhaustion. He's tired too. My heart ached more thinking that I brought the exhaustion to him. If I'd only been more responsible, Kyungsoo won't have to be a mess like I am now.

He stared at me, his rage still evident through his ragged breathing. He was clenching his jaw, his hair slightly damp from the rain. What if he catches a cold?

"Are you Miss Kim's relatives?" A nurse came near us.

Kyungsoo shook his head, "I'm her close friend. Is she okay?".

The nurse smiled encouragingly and nodded, "Yes, she's fine. All thanks to the one who found her in that state. If the person didn't wrap anything around her wound, she would've lost a lot of blood, which can put her in a critical condition."