10

EUNJUNG

I woke up in an unfamiliar room. I was alone and the sunlight hid behind the thick curtains. I moved my head lightly, eager to scan the whole place. My eyes stopped at something infront of me.

"Mwo?" I whispered.

My right leg was hung and it was wrapped by a white bandage. I glanced at my wrist and found an IV injected into my pale skin. I scanned the place more and found no one. I was really alone. I'm alone at a hospital room. What the hell happened?

I closed my eyes as memory flashed before my eyes. Right, I think I got sideswept by a car. Last thing I remember was the bright headlight aimed at me and tires screeching.

As if on cue, a nurse entered along with a doctor. They both looked at me with sympathy.

"Good morning. How are you feeling?" The doctor asked as the nurse started to jot down stuff on her paper.

I smiled, "I feel okay, doc. But I don't quite recall how I got here."

"The driver brought you here." The doctor started. "He said he lost control of the car as the brakes were broken. He's outside sleeping. He says he's waiting for you to wake up so he could apologize. An officer came earlier, and talked to the driver. You could press charges against him."

Press charges? It wasn't done on purpose though. It's not like he wanted to kill me. He's also a victim.

"By the way, you had a severe fracture on your right leg, and it may require you to stay here a little longer. We acquired your ID, but there was no family registered in there, so we didn't know who to call."

I nodded, "I have no family, doc. But thanks for the concern."

"Please press this button if you need assistance from nurses, but I highly suggest you call someone, maybe a friend, to help you out. It won't be easy here alone." He said with a gentle smile.

They were about to exit but I suddenly remembered something.

"Nurse, can you please tell the driver to come inside? I'd like to talk to him."

They closed the door but a few seconds after, it opened again, revealing an old man. He was looking down, grey hair showing.

"Good morning, Miss." The old man said, his voice shaky.

I smiled at him, "Good morning, harabeoji?"

He met my eyes, he was tearing up. He's scared. It was obvious with his watery eyes and shaking lips. The grandpa was scared of me and my heart hurt a little. I didn't want him to be scared. It was an accident. None of us wanted it to happen.

I was about to open my mouth to say something but I was shocked when the old man knelt in front of me. His hands clasp together. He's begging.

"Please!" He started. "Please forgive me, Miss. I was so sleepy and my car is very old. I wanted to visit my wife in this hospital but I fell asleep along the way. I'm sorry. I told the officers that the brakes were broken but they weren't. I was just afraid they'd arrest me immediately. "