PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE (unedited)

--- Kindly put your playlist here ---

"My heart hurts for that girl
The girl I was a year ago
Begging for somebody to stay in my life
Asking why I was never good enough for them
Never again will I ever question my own self worth over someone else
Thank God for the GROWTH."

-Synthea

       Song:
Someone Like You by Adele

     * * * *

ANNIE

MOVING ON is a myth. There is no such thing.

After a breakup, breakdown, death of a beloved, betrayal, all those stuff, does one move on with life?

No.

One move forward, but never moving on. Because the emotional void that is left behind is greatly felt and most times difficult to quash.

In due time, one just moves forward. Till they —maybe, later fall back in love with someone else, put back together the pieces of the body and soul, come to the realisation that the dead is in a better place other than this shitty world, just accept that that friend ain't coming back —or worse, even sorry.

Here I am, stalking Hunter's life on Instagram precisely two months and half after the event that left me shattered. I am a senior going into my second week of high school, on a Saturday night, after just returning from my —getaway trip less than 10 minutes ago. I missed first week because I was yet to face the fact that seeing my ex-best friend together with my middle school ex-best friend is the new norm.

Apparently, the only one who is still stuck in the past is me. Pictures about us —me, our friendship on his page has been deleted. The more time I spend on his profile, the more my heart violently breaks. Now, all posts are that of him and his angelic —perfect girlfriend. Who calls herself Ashleigh Campbell-Dillon on the site.

Urgh I think I can taste my bile.

Did I hear you say BITCH?

Trust me, I totally agree.

Now let me tell you who she is.

Ashleigh Campbell. Leigh as I would call her. The only daughter and child of one of the most famous fashion designers in the world "Lauwencia Campbell". I have known her since kindergarten, when things were all rainbows and unicorns. I still remember the day we became friends. A lot of rich spoilt brats were picking on me, seniors to be specific. But luckily, all thanks to Leigh, she saved me from those mean girls and decided I hang out with her so that no one tries to bully me again.

Truthfully, nobody did anything mean to me until she decided to have a baseless hatred for me. Leigh and I were like sisters for almost nine years. We were more than what you'd call Best Friends.

That was until middle school happened and for some reasons having to do with her popularity and my lack thereof, we are now decidedly nothing to each other.

She needed to become a mega bitch.

So I let her.

Middle school turned her into Satan's spawn. Gone was that girl who would have my hair braided as I couldn't braid to save dear life. Gone was that girl who would tell me things she never shared with nobody only because she knew I had seen her at her worse and yet I still came around. I promised to always be down for her because if it weren't for her, I would have been a lone wolf with no park. Gone was that girl who dined with my family every Saturday night right before we movie binge. So after avoiding my calls and giving one reason or the other not to hangout with me, Leigh made it crystal clear that I was nothing but just a bother to her, her rep and that we could no longer remain friends.

I guessed she finally realised how different our worlds were, her's being colorful and mine bland —I was never a fan of the limelight. I tried to keep our friendship afloat, I really did, but there was only so much my ego could take in.

Leigh became the cheerleader and I ended up like I started out...

Deserted.

*

Then Hunter came into my life.

Usually jocks are jerks but not Hunter.

Despite being this guy who 90% of the girls pine over and few rungs up in the social hierarchy. He wasn't an arrogant dickhead like every other decent looking guys.

Only that he had to ruin everything by going out with my excuse for an ex-bestfriend!

I wasn't that popular girl at school, but I wasn't also in the crowd that no one knew of either. I was just amongst the lucky crowd. My life wasn't perfect, and honestly, I was never scouring for perfection. All I wanted was to be his girlfriend.

Even when he dated the sluttiest and bitchiest girls, I would always hope soon he realize that I am the right girl for him.

But he never got the hints.

I envisaged Senior year differently, get a new look and catch his attention as a girl. That meant to take my braces off, change from my glasses to contacts and maintain my spectacular grades.

Simple right?

Wrong!

The one behind the skies receives pleasures playing tricks on me as Hunter found himself a girlfriend, yet again.

It should have been me, —in his arms, laughing like a happy idiot after I have confessed my stupid crush of four years!

Ping!

My notification goes off. I tap on it and I am taken to a picture of Hunter and Leigh on a beach. He lift her up with his forearms beneath her half-naked ass for support since her legs are wrapped around his waist while she leans for a kiss, —spit-swapping kiss. The caption reads "A year of pure bliss with my heartbeat"

It literally makes me want to throw my phone fifty feet away.

Heartbeat?

Okay, just kill me already.

No, I mean choke me out then stab me in the heart!!!

Why is he even tagging me in his posts!?

I bet she is behind this.

For old times sake, I would never have thought of all the people I knew, the one to hurt me like this would be LEIGH.

--- THANKS FOR READING ---

Author's Note: Isn't it weird how people change? Friendship didn't come easy for some... And Annie seem to be out of luck.

*** Don't forget to vote, and add to your reading list <3 ***

{30th of June, 2020}