The One That Got Away

David's POV

“I'm sorry, I'm late. How long have you been here?”

With an understanding eyes, I looked at the woman in front of me who just boarded off the bus.

“Almost half an hour,” I said.

“Sorryyy,” she said, “Traffic.”

“It's okay. I’ve waited for you to come into my life for 26 years, so what is 30 minutes?”

We laughed as she cringed.

“Stop it and let's go. I might kiss you right here, right now.”

I laughed as I saw how she tried to shrug off her giggles and now burning red face,

“Wait, did you brought your tickets?”

I nod, and showed her my phone case where the two tickets are at.

Today, we’re going to see the 2nd concert of Lany. The first one was two years ago.

Soon as the bus stops in front us, we board it immediately.

As I set my foot inside, I felt my heart feeling heavy, my system uneasy, and my mind on sudden chaos.

“Let's seat at the back,” my girlfriend, Ashley, whispers at me.

But as I looked at the back seat of the bus, a familiar gaze met mine.

He's wearing a black headset, black jacket, holding his favorite book.

He’s looking at me deeply, and his every glimpse makes me feel so blue and nostalgic.

Suddenly, the ghost of the past comes at me as if it’s a flashback….

---------------------

A YEAR AGO.

My eyes uneasy.
My heart waving.
My system in chaos.
I closed my eyes.

Shit.

I once again looked at the man sitting at the back seat of the bus, he’s wearing his school uniform, black jacket, glasses on, and his black headset and there’s only one seat available; beside him.

“Mister, there's still an available seat at the back” I heard the assistant in the bus said, which made me more uneasy.

The thing is, if it’s just another person, I’d immediately take that seat. But that man is not just an ordinary person, he ain’t that special either, I don’t even know him at all. However, there’s something in his aura which never failed to caught my eye. He seems like a strong gravitational force which always makes my system fall for him with no definite reason that even I, myself, is unaware of.

“Sir, at the back!”

In my horror, he looks at me, and our eyes met. Just like that, my roots melted.

I immediately turned my back, afraid he might see my face burning red.

“Excuse me!” a middle-aged woman pushed me aside, taking the seat with an irritated face.

I heaved a sigh. People may think I’m weird or something, but I just can’t help it.

That man, I have been seeing him for 10 months in the same bus, under the same sky, standing the same ground, at the same time, and in the same place. At first, I thought it was just fine or something normal but whenever I’m too early or too late for school, I keep on seeing him still in the same bus, as if the universe kept on matching us or something and my hopeless romantic self can’t just ignore it and ended up assuming. As time goes by, I just felt like I’m liking him in fact, I have this little crush on him. I mean, who wouldn’t? He seems cool, though.