9. Just Friends

I had trouble sleeping last night. Part of it was the thunder loudly shaking the room every couple of minutes, but most of it was because of my brain just trying to figure everything out. Even after hours of tossing around, I wasn't any closer to figuring out Clay.

Finally, I decided to stop trying to get any more sleep. Stretching, I sat up in the bunk, pushing the blanket off me. The rain pitter-pattered the window gently, leaving droplets of water on the glass. I pulled out my phone and was surprised to see that it was already 8:24. The storm clouds outside blocked the rising sun, so it seemed much earlier than it was. I looked over at Clay; or at least, his empty bed. I shot up straighter, panicking. Where did he go?

That was until the door opened and Clay stepped in, who was putting his phone away and looking happier than yesterday.

"Oh, George, you're up," he said pleasantly.

I nodded. "I got scared when I saw your bed was empty. Where were you?"

"Just calling someone."

"Who?"

He sighed. "Um... my mom. She wanted me to check in with her."

"Oh." I turned my head toward the window, watching the storm.

Clay followed my gaze. "It's really coming down out there, huh?"

"Yeah. Can't believe it's still this strong when it started last night," I agreed, watching the branches on trees sway.

"Wonder what we're gonna do today? You know, with the rain and stuff."

I turned to look at him. "Same. I can't really think of anything they can do indoors."

There was a tense silence between us as our eyes met. Clay looked uncomfortable as if he wanted to say something.

"Um, Clay-"

"About yesterday-"

We stared at each other again. I wanted to hear what he was going to say. "What?"

"Oh, um... sorry for being like that. Yesterday."

"It's fine."

"It's just... I was already thinking about my parents, and when Jasmine said that... basically, my parents not exactly accepting of that kind of thing. My mom hates that I hang out with you."

"Okay, but..."

"And then you started getting uncomfortable too, so... yeah. That's why."

"Oh." His explanation only confused me more, but I didn't want to push him further. "Well, it's all good."

"Thanks." He sat down on his bed, pulling out his phone and scrolling through it. I sighed, grabbing out my phone to do the same. I wasted time for an hour until my peers woke up, with lots of stretching and yawning.

The six of us took turns changing and left for the dining hall, a wonderful breakfast awaiting us like always. Clay was talking to everyone normally again, meaning the food seemed to be fuller. I sat back in my chair, satisfied with the meal, and waited for the usual announcements.

Today, the announcements were given by the camp director, who told us all that we could call her Rosie. She said, "Due to the unfortunate weather conditions outside, we will instead be doing a few demonstrations in the morning here before hopefully returning outside for the afternoon. I ask that you all return to your rooms briefly so our staff can set up this room. We will alert you when it's time to return."

There was some mumbling from the class and scraping of chairs as everyone stood up to leave. We packed through the double doors and went back to our room, sitting on our beds and chatting. After about ten minutes, a bell rang on the PA system. Taking this as the sign to go, we returned to the dining hall.