10. Confrontation

(this chapter be long af, so don't feel obligated to read it all at once (you'll see why at the word count))

Warning: This chapter contains a scene with physical violence and strong, hateful language. I will put a warning in bold when it begins.

I opened my eyes slowly, looking at the sun beating in from the window. Everyone else slept soundly in their beds, bundled tightly in their blankets. Sighing, I turned over to the nightstand where my phone sat. I unplugged it and checked the time - 8:56. That's late. I guess I must have been extra tired last night.

I stretched out my arms and tossed off my blanket. I didn't want to wake everyone up yet, so I instead grabbed my clothes and changed in the bathroom. Once I finished, I checked myself out in the mirror. My hair was a little bit of a mess, but I otherwise looked fine.

After hastily fixing my hair, I exited the bathroom and looked around to see if anyone else was awake. Bad and Zak seemed to both be awake, but the rest were definitely sleeping. I sat down on my bunk and grabbed my phone to start scrolling through social media. Eventually, everyone else woke up in time for breakfast and once everyone got a chance to change and talk a little bit, we headed towards the dining hall.

Today's breakfast felt wholesome. Everyone was smiling and excited for today's events while also eating great food and overall feeling happy. I couldn't tell what it was - maybe the fact that it was the last day of the trip, or maybe because we were out of the rain from yesterday. Whatever it was, it was definitely welcome.

As usual, once we were finished, Mrs. Blaire stepped up to make announcements. Today, she began with a wide smile and said, "It's your last day, guys! No more educational stuff; just some fun competitions. Promise they won't be as boring as Tuesday's."

Everyone laughed a little bit before quieting down again. "So, this is going to work in three teams. To make it easy, each team is a homeroom class - so my class will be the red team, Mrs. O'Perra's class will be the blue team, and Ms. Mendoza's class will be the yellow team. We will be your team leaders for this event." She paused for a moment, looking around at everyone's reactions. "We'll explain the rest outside. Please follow Ms. Mendoza and Mrs. O'Perra to the field."

I turned to the back of the room, seeing that our other two teachers were standing there and propping the doors open. Everyone stood up and started walking out the door, eyes adjusting to the bright sun outside. The trees swayed in the slight breeze as I looked on at the large field next to the camp building. Lots of canopies had been set up here and there, presumably marking where we would do each competition.

Everyone gathered near one of these canopies, under which our teachers stood. Mrs. Blaire dashed to get to the front and continued her introductions.

"Now that we're all out here, let me explain how this is going to work. We are going to do a few competitions. Depending on what place your team gets, you will receive a certain amount of points. Getting first place is 3 points, getting second is 2 points, and getting third place is 1. The team with the most points at the end of the day will earn next Friday off from school."

Cheers erupted from the crowd - the stakes were set high. Pretty bold of them to have that as the prize, but I'm all for it.

"But!" she yelled over all the talking. "We still expect you all to be sportsmanlike at all times. These are fun events so you can get active, and we will not tolerate any unsportsmanly behavior. With all of that out the way, however, it's time to begin!"

There were more cheers as Rosie stepped up, holding a megaphone. "We will begin with a baton race. The rules are simple. Since there are so many of you per team, each team will have 3 separate races. The order of winners will be decided by which team has the fastest time when all entries are added up. Your teachers, or team leaders, will spread you out so each race has an equal amount of racers. Everyone understand?"