15. For Better Or For Worse

I was woken up by the harsh noise of my alarm clock, jolting me out of my dream. Groaning, I reached to turn it off, relishing in the sweet silence that came afterward. I rolled out of bed and got dressed haphazardly. My hair was a ruffled mess of brown that took a while to smooth out, but once it was fixed, I went down for breakfast.

I ate my breakfast and got ready for school in silence before leaving for my usual walk to school. It was slightly overcast today - it looked like we were going to have another storm some time later. 

When I got to school, I saw Nick waiting at the front desk. I was a little surpised, but I went up to him anyway.

"Oh. Hey, George," he said, grinning.

"Hey. What are you doing here?" I asked, leaning on the counter beside him.

He sighed. "Forgot to grab my work yesterday."

"Damn." I looked around at the bustling hallways. "I should probably go. See you tomorrow maybe? Probably would be just us two, but..."

He nodded. "Sure."

With that, I walked away toward my homeroom and took my usual seat for attendance. Once it was over, I left for my next class. My morning went by without any moments of interest, improved by the fact that we didn't have Science class on Thursdays. Instead, we went to P.E. and did dodgeball. The teams were decided by our P.E. teacher, who was similar to Mrs. O'Perra in her incompetence but actually a little bit psychotic. However, she chose decent teams, and Zak, Bad, and I (Alex was picked for the opposing team) helped our team win.

Sweaty, tired, and overall done from playing dodgeball, we went to have lunch. The four of us spent some time talking about Minecraft and girls. I wasn't uncomfortable when other guys talked about their interest in girls. In fact, I would crack stupid jokes like "Can't relate" or "Could never be me."

The afternoon was a different story, though. We spent a bit of the first English period working on our essays, but since it was a homework assignment, we stopped shortly after to start discussing the next book we would be reading, which would be the last one for the year.

Once the final bell rang, Mrs. Blaire addressed her homeroom class. "Remember, no school tomorrow for you all! I mean, you can come, but us teachers get planning periods instead of having you, so we'd rather you didn't."

Everyone laughed for a bit. I started to get ready to go, but Mrs. Blaire asked me to stay behind for a second. I obliged and watched everyone else leave through the door as she started addressing me.

"I just wanted to say congratulations."

I laughed nervously. "Uh, what?"

"Clay told me yesterday. About you two."

"Oh. Yeah."

"If I'm being honest, he'd been telling me the same things you were. Well, not the same things exactly, but he has liked you for a while."

"Wha- why didn't you tell me?" I felt a little bit betrayed.

She scoffed good-manneredly. "I doubt you would've believed me. Plus, and this might be a little bit cliché, but I think it's better you two worked it out on your own."

"That is really cliché, but... I guess it's true," I sighed.

"With that being said, though, make sure you're both taking your time," she warned. "I feel like I might have rushed you with my advice, so that needs to be said now."

I nodded. "Yeah. Um... thanks, I guess. For everything."

"No problem. As your teacher, I'm here to help."