𝖎.𝖎𝖛 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖙𝖗𝖆𝖎𝖓

HAVEN AND SPENCER WERE ESCORTED to the train platform, where Pandora met them before boarding

HAVEN AND SPENCER WERE ESCORTED to the train platform, where Pandora met them before boarding. The pink-clad escort showed the two to their rooms. Haven seized the opportunity to have some Pandora-free time and quickly shut the door behind her, clicking the lock.

The blonde was taken aback by the sheer beauty of the room. Huge floor to ceiling windows took up an entire wall, giving the girl a panoramic view. She sunk down in a plush velvet chair by the window and watched her home disappear.

Haven thought she would cry, but no tears came. She stared blankly at the crashing waves as the train traveled along the shoreline. For so long, the water had been a safe place for her, and leaving it behind set in for her the reality of the situation. She ran her fingers along the soft velvet, taking in the room. From the sprawling bed covered in silk pillows, to the opulent crystal chandelier, it all felt too sophisticated to Haven, who was used to her quaint house in District 4.

A short while later once the view of the ocean passed, Haven rose and entered the bathroom. She peeled off her green dress and fidgeted around with buttons on the wall until she was able to turn the shower on. The girl shampooed her hair and washed the rest of her body, despite having done so a few hours prior. The reaping made her feel dirty, like she was a pig on display at the town butcher shop, about to be slaughtered.

After she washed away the invisible layer of filth and humiliation that she felt, Haven dressed in a soft blue sweater and black pants. She flopped back on her bed, and stared aimlessly at the ceiling that was covered in intricate paintings. The girl laid, observing the many lines and colors until she heard Pandora pounding on her door for dinner.

The blonde walked into the room, surprised to see the District 4 victors sprawled out on the couches, conversing amongst themselves. She noticed that Spencer hadn't made an appearance yet. Pandora cleared her throat and spoke up. "Haven, meet the victors of District 4. They will be mentoring you before and during the games, so I suggest acquainting yourself."

Haven recognized their faces, she'd seen them around town, and these victors were the closest thing to a celebrity in her district. She tentatively walked over and took a seat next to one of the female victors. Sensing the young girl's nerves, the blonde victor stuck out her hand and shook Haven's. "The name's Mallory. This is Collin." She stated, poking the male next to her in the side. "Over there is Chlöe, Sebastian and Garrett." Mallory said as she pointed her finger. "Mags would be here, but the last few years was very stressful for her so we gave her the year off." She explained. "And over there sitting in the corner is the ever so famous victor of two years ago's games, Finnick Odair."

Haven glanced at each of her mentors, meeting Finnick's eye last, who shot her a small smirk, to which she responded with a roll of her eyes. The two were quickly snapped out of the moment when the car door opened and Spencer walked into the room.

"Just in time Cade" Garrett called, "Mal was just introducing us to your partner over here." Spencer shuffled over and sat down across from Haven. Garrett continued, "Alright you two. These next few days are gonna be what makes or breaks you in the arena. Myself and my fellow mentors will do everything in our power to give you the advice you need. I suggest you take it." Sebastian cut in, "More like, listen to us, or you have a 100% chance of death." He chuckled, which lead to Garrett punching him in the arm.

"Spencer, do you have any skills?" Collin asked. "I'm really good with knives, and I'm strong." He replied. "Great, glad you know your strengths", Collin said, "And what about you Haven." The blonde blushed a little out of embarrassment. "I don't really know. I've never really done anything like this before."

Mallory patted the girl on the back in a comforting manner. "It's alright, that's what training is for, to figure out your strong suits." Haven exhaled, feeling slightly better.
"Why don't we watch the other reapings?" Chlöe suggested. "Ah yes. Let's see the other unlucky ones who got picked for this year's slaughtering fest." Finnick chuckled as he popped a peppermint candy into his mouth before clicking on the television.

As they watched the reapings, Avoxes walked over and placed a steaming plate in front of each person. Haven's eyes widened at the sight of roasted potatoes and some sort of meat in a decadent dark sauce. The manners her mother drilled into her head flew out the window as she began practically shoveling the food down her throat. "Easy princess", Collin said, "They're not gonna take it away mid-chew.". Haven realized how ridiculous she looked and mumbled "Sorry.", before slowing down her pace. She glanced up to see Finnick's lips curled up in a smile, suppressing a laugh. She didn't say anything, apart from a quiet, "Excuse me." before she darted out of the dining car and back to her room.

// author's note
back with another chapter :) this was a little all over the place, but i'm glad i finally got to introduce the mentors and show a little of their personalities. & of course our boy finnick made an appearance. if you're reading, please leave any sort of comment, i'd love to hear from y'all!
- a

 if you're reading, please leave any sort of comment, i'd love to hear from y'all!- a